Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Pure Evil


Garlic Mustard

This has been the bane of my existance this spring. When I moved to crazyacres 5 years ago, I marveled at the spring wildflowers in the woods and in my "lawn" (mowed weeds). I noticed this little flower was here and there, and thought, "Oh, how sweet!".

Now, this monster demon-spawn straight from hell weed has invaded my entire yard, despite my effort to pull them, burn them, weed-wack them, etc, you get the point. If you didn't take time to read the link, these monster demon-spawn straight from hell weeds produce 250,000 seeds a year, per plant. They live for 2 years, they cannot be killed, the demon-spawn seeds lie dormant in the ground for 5 years, the root system changes the chemicals in the ground to prevent other plants from growing there. If you pull the weed when it is flowering and leave it on the ground, it will still mature and go to seed. You can't burn the pulled weeds, as the seeds will float out in the air and spread even further. You have to put the pulled weeds in a closed container and wait for it to compost.

As I have spent day after day after day, year after year, fighting this evil &%$#@*, I keep thinking of virtue and vice. How easy it is for vice to spread and choke out virtue, and how difficult it is to root out vice. How I have to prevent any further spread of the weed, but cannot eradicate it myself. It truly is impossible to rid my property of this weed. IMPOSSIBLE. I need a "messiah", and savior, someone to do a job that is impossible for me.

This led me to contemplate my frustration in attempting to eradicate this weed. This must be what it was like pre-Jesus. The struggle, the work, the knowing that it was impossible to weed out the sin that had entered the world.

So, every day I keep pulling the &%$#* garlic mustard, feeling grateful that the salvation of my soul is not dependent on my labors.

7 Comments:

Blogger DeeDee Kay said...

Great post! An entertaining yet thought-provoking view, both of gardening and of life in general. :-)
Perhaps God sends us a message about our spiritual lives through our respective gardens. My earthly garden has suffered in the past due to my lack of care and its vulnerability to hungry wildlife. Hmm. Yes, I could see how my spiritual growth needs much more careful attention and vigilant guardianship.
This year, however, I'm not even going to have the pretense of an earthly garden! So HA.

April 26, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

But it is so pretty...tee hee.

I can relate - clover and moss are our garlic mustards.

April 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm maybe our confessionals should be made out of huge air-tight tupperware containers? That or we just hope our faith is like a "mustard seed"?

April 27, 2006  
Blogger Mama Heffalump said...

Hmm... the tare... *Wink*

I laughed when I read your post... sorry... *Hugs-a-bunch*

April 28, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

well, here I go just offering practical advice, after everyone else has read some deeper meaning into the bane of your yard there. Here in the great south, we use pigs......yep, that's right, pigs. Maybe someone can loan you a couple of pygmie goats, they like weeds too. Call the local extension service and find out what eats those little *^$&$*)# boogers, and then find a nice farmer, who'll loan you a couple. Pygmies make nice pets too.

April 28, 2006  
Blogger Ginger said...

Wonderful post. I know the struggle.

I hope you win the fight with the weeds! :)

April 29, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Hey, nice change on the blog template!

April 29, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home