Friday, April 14, 2006

Great and Holy Friday



Today there is the Matins Service of the 12 Gospels - Into the framework of Matins are inserted 12 readings from all the Gospels relating to the sufffering, death & burial of Jesus. Each reading is followed by antiphons reflecting on His Passion. During the service the Cross is placed in the midst of the church for veneration

John 13: 31 to 18:1
John 18: 1-28 (Arrest of Jesus in the garden of Olives)
Matthew 26: 57-75 (Jesus before the Sanhedrin and Peter disowns Jesus)
John 18:28 to 19: 16 (Jesus before Pilate and Jesus crucified)
Matthew 27: 3-32 (Death of Judas and Jesus before Pilate and the way of the Cross)
Mark 15: 16-32 (Jesus is crowned with thorns and crucified)
Matthew 27: 33-54 (The way of the Cross)
Luke 23: 32-49 (The way of Calvery)
John 19: 25-37 (Jesus' last words and Jesus is pierced)
Mark 15: 43-47 (Burial of Jesus)
John 19: 38-42
Matthew 27: 62-66 (The guards at the tomb)




Here is a prayer, part of the service called the Ikos, that was particularly touching to me:

As she saw her own Lamb being dragged to slaughter Mary, the Ewe-lamb, worn out with grief, followed with other women, crying out, ‘Where are you going, my child? For whose sake are you completing the course so fast? Is there once again another wedding in Cana? And are you hurrying there now to make wine for them from water? Should I go with you, my child, or rather wait for you? Give me a word, O Word; do not pass me by in silence, you who kept me pure, My Son and my God.’

The grief pierces the heart, no?

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

That always strikes me on Holy Thursday. It's so grief stricken, so planitive, so raw.

Lord have Mercy.

Happy Holy Friday!

April 14, 2006  
Blogger Lisa said...

Hoping your Easter was wonderful and glorious!

April 17, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

what truly beautiful yet painful words. Thanks for sharing them

April 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home