Saturday, February 24, 2007

Repentance




The First Ode from the Canon of Repentance to Our Lord God and Savior, Jesus Christ

When Israel walked on foot through the sea as on dry land, on seeing their pursuer Pharaoh drowned, they cried out: "Let us sing to God a song of victory!"

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

Now, I, a burdened sinner, approach You my Lord and God. But I dare not raise my eyes to Heaven. I only pray, saying: "Give me tears, O Lord, to weep bitterly over my deeds."

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

Woe is me, a sinner! Wretched am I above all men. There is no penitence in me. Give me tears, O Lord, to weep bitterly over my deeds.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit

Foolish, wretched Man, you are wasting your time in idleness! Think of your life and turn to the Lord God, and weep bitterly over your deeds.

Now and always, and forever and ever. Amen

Most Pure Mother of God, look upon me a sinner, and deliver me from the snare of the Devil, and guide me to the way of repentance, that I may weep bitterly over my deeds.

Labels: