Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Homemaking meme


Rosemary tagged me with this, and I am finally getting to it.


Aprons- Y/N- Yes, when I remember. I have some vintage aprons from my estate sale/thrift store addiction. My favorite is a terry cloth apron with a rooster on it.

Baking-- Favorite thing to bake: Pineapple Upsidedown Cake. It's famous in these parts. It uses walnuts instead of cherries, and has a vanilla sauce to die for.

Clothesline- Y/N-- I wish! We live in the woods so I would just get damp, bird-pooped clothes. I hang them on a drying rack inside if they are not dryer safe.

Donuts-- No. I don't do deep frying here -- too much trouble

One homemaking thing you do every day-- There are so many. I would say cooking is the one I just can't skip for a day. Everything else can wait if need be.

Freezer-- Do you have a separate deep freeze? Yes, with a side of beef and anything on a great sale that I can buy lots of at once. My husband once bought 50 bags of chocolate chips because they were closing out a specialty brand of excellent chocolate for 79 cents a bag.

Garbage Disposal-- Y/N? Yes, but we can't use it or it will mess up our septic. I have a screen over it, and only run it once every week to take care of the little things that get in there.

Handbook-- What is your favorite homemaking resource? Reciepesource.com

Ironing--Love it or hate it? Neither. I do it when I must, and get a little satisfaction from it. However, I hate when my ironed clothing gets wrinkled when I wear it, and have been known to rail(loudly) against my seat belt for crumpling my freshly ironed lined skirt and blouse.

Junk drawer--Y/N? Where is it? All my drawers are junk drawers. I am not kidding.

Kitchen: Design and decorating? I have a plain kitchen, with tan walls and counters. Stainless stove, black oven and dishwasher. I have a collection of Madonna and Child folk art images on the wall, and a chalk board. I have a large kitchen that included a hallway and a desk and a pantry and a powder room, so it is a busy, busy place.

Love: What is your favorite part of homemaking? Decorating. I love estate sales and thrift stores and love finding unusual odds and ends and making a statement with it in the decor. I detest actual cleaning, but my treasures don't look so great under a layer of dust, so cleaning must be done.


Mop Y/N -- I use a "Floor Mate". LOVE IT. It is broken right now, so I have been spot cleaning and it is driving me nuts. I'll probably break out the old mop and bucket this week.

Nylons-- I haven't worn nylons since my wedding day 14.5 years ago. And I never will again if I can help it. Mysogeny, I tell you. That's what nylons are.


Oven-- Do you use the window or open the door to check? Open the door, and stab what ever is in there.

Pizza-- What do you put on yours? sausage, green olives and onion.

Quiet-- What do you do during the day when you get a quiet moment? Make a cup of tea and retreat to my room to read whatever I am currently reading.

Recipe Card Box Y/N? Well, I have a recipe card box I use for an address book. But my actual recipes are in a few cook books and notebooks, or in my head.

Style of house-- A 50's ranch that we have added to with a Prarie style design. I love it. HUGE windows, deep eaves, simple decor.

Tablecloths and napkins? Sometimes, when I think of it.

Under the kitchen sink-- organized or toxic wasteland? Organized. I have dish soap, scrubbies, trash bags and Lysol wipes.

Vacuum-- how many times per week? Once regularly, but frequent messes require attention here and there almost every day. But real, in the corners vacuuming, once a week.

Wash-- How many loads of laundry do you do in a week? I have two sets of washers and dryers. They each run about 2 loads five days a week. So that's about 20 loads a week. Give or take.

X's-- Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?-- Just in my head, which makes me a little scattered and disorganized. But if I write it down, I add every conceivable item on it and set myself up for instant failure. I have been known to write a list after the day is done of what I have completed, then cross them all out. As if I could fool myself somehow, and yet, I get satisfaction from it anyway.

Yard-- Who does what? My son mows the lawn areas of our 3 acres. There are quite a few "wild" areas. I pretty much do everything else. All I really want now is my own chain saw so I can stop sawing the branchs that need trimming by hand. Someday.

Zzz's--Advancing the laundry, feeding the pets, and turning out the lights and locking the doors.


I don't know who has already done this, but assuming you haven't, I tag Lisa, Cris,Erin,The Kitchen Madonna and Mama T.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I'm It! I haven't done this one yet. Such fun! I enjoyed reading your answers! Thanks for sharing! *Smile*

February 09, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

You sound so organized, I imagine your household moving like a well-oiled machine! Wow.

February 09, 2007  
Blogger Rosemary said...

MPN, yes, as Mimi says, you sound organized. And how nice to live in the woods. Thanks for sharing.

February 09, 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

Mine is up! *Grin*

February 10, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Organized?? Didn't you read this one - Junk drawer--Y/N? Where is it? All my drawers are junk drawers. I am not kidding.


or this one


X's-- Do you keep a daily list of things to do and cross them off?-- Just in my head, which makes me a little scattered and disorganized. But if I write it down, I add every conceivable item on it and set myself up for instant failure. I have been known to write a list after the day is done of what I have completed, then cross them all out. As if I could fool myself somehow, and yet, I get satisfaction from it anyway.

I am so not organized!!

February 10, 2007  
Blogger ukok said...

Renee, you're not alone about the junk drawer answer, my whole house is full of junk! Hope you're having a great weekend :-)

February 10, 2007  
Blogger Rosemary said...

MPN, I reread your answers to see what made me think "organized." I think it was that under the sink is organized, the 2 washers and dryers, and the chain saw. LOL A chain saw really sounds like a woman with a mission:) (Glad to hear you're not overly organized.)

February 10, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Pineapple Upside Down Cake!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't thought about it in awhile...gotta make some this week! Maybe I will see if that is what son would like for his birthday cake! Oh, puleeeze son! LOL!
Almost all of my drawers are junk drawers too!! No kiddin...give me 5, sista!!!

February 11, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home