Monday, August 13, 2007

school on the horizon


I don't actually mention home schooling much here, but since I am home schooling again this year, I thought I would put some thing out there for consideration.

My eldest will be in high school this year, and although I didn't know if we would home school for high school, it seems that if "it ain't broke, don't fix it", so we're giving it a go. We have some options if it doesn't go well this year, but I am optimistic.

I have always designed my own curriculum, and it has worked well for us. I am a "relaxed" home schooler that leans toward the classical method. Sort of a weird mix of un-schooling with a Charlotte Mason, classical and Montessori influence. Everyone is doing well enough, but high school, now that is a different story.

So this year, he and I will be enrolling in Seton for 9th grade. It isn't without trepidation, however. Seton is very structured, not too relaxed, and not too classical. What am I doing, I am asking myself?

My son thrives on structure. I have given him as much as I have, structure wise, but I just don't think it will be enough for the increased work demands of high-school. Seton is just chock full of structure. He is well prepared for the curriculum, to be sure, and I think having at least one year of the basics, much of which will be review, should strengthen his skills and confidence, and leave him very well prepared for the rest of high school and beyond.

It isn't without some second guessing that I do this, but knowing my son the way I do, I think he will thrive. I have 5 other full time students this year, plus an active 3 year old, plus life to live, and know myself well enough that he isn't going to get a lot from me. Seton has teachers and they grade papers and keep transcripts.

BUT...

It will cost more for him to be enrolled than I have usually spent on all my curriculum for all my kids in past years. In an effort to minimize the financial impact, I am going to try to use only resources I already own for the other 5 kidlets. I may have to buy new consumable workbooks, but I don't use many of these, so that won't be a large expense. So, while I am giving up quite a bit of control over my eldest's curriculum, I will be making up for the lack of creativity by pulling together a new creation from old resources for the other kids, and I am looking forward to that quite a bit.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

I used Seton for a few years for one of my children, in particular. He liked the structure. When I used it there were only certain things that had to be turned in. The other assignments could be adjusted as Mom sees fit. I amended and eliminated a lot that I thought was unnecessary. They have a lot of good Catholic content in their curriculum. (I am not talking about high school level, though. Cound be different.) God bless your efforts!

August 13, 2007  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am in the same boat as you this year. We homeschool as you, a great mix of different approaches but with my oldest entering h.s. this year we weren't certain what to do. We also are enrolling in Seton. She is excited and I am as well but still a bit anxious too. We'll see how it goes!

September 02, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home