Thursday, November 08, 2007

A little praying


I think I have posted this before, because this prayer said during Vespers is one of my favorites. Last evening, my family and I went to Vespers for the Feast of the Archangels. It is a remarkable way to end a day, let me tell you. The candles, incense, chanting of the Psalms, worshiping God with singing, bowing and many requests for mercy.

The hymn that I love the most is this one:

Deign, O Lord, to keep us this evening free from sin.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord, God of our Fathers! Praise and glorified is Thy name forever and ever, Amen.

O Lord, let Thy mercy rest upon us, for we have place our hope in Thee.

Blessed art Thou, O Lord: teach me Thy commands.

Blessed art Thou, O Master: grant that I may understand Thy commands.

Blessed art Thou, O Holy One: enlighten me in Thy statutes.

Everlasting is Thy love, O Lord; do not turn away from the work of Thy hands!

Indeed, praise, adoration and glory are You due, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, now and always and forever and ever, Amen.


And in honor of St. Michael, I'll turn to one of my Roman Rite prayers that I love and say often:

St. Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle.
Be our protection against the malice and snares of the devil.
May God rebuke him, we humbly pray,
and do thou Prince of the Heavenly Host, by the power of God,
cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits,
who roam throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls,
Amen.


(photo is taken my by sister in law of my nephew and Godson dressed up for All Saints Day).

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

That's an awesome photo! What a cute nephew!

And on my Patron Saint Day, Holy Archangel Michael, pray to God for us.

November 08, 2007  
Blogger Kristen Laurence said...

What a beautiful and rich faith, and what a fabulous costume!

November 08, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! :o)

(Your nephew is a sweetie pie!)

November 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home