Friday, November 09, 2007

What's Cooking Tonight


Hearty Vegetarian Chili

4 Large onions, chopped

1 large green bell pepper, seeded, chopped **I used a bag of frozen chopped
peppers and onions**

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 tablespoon ground mustard

1 tablespoon chili powder

1 tablespoon ground cumin

1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

16 oz canned tomatoes, chopped **I use 2 14 oz cans**

5 cups kidney beans -- cooked with liquid **I use 3 cans of a variety of beans + a little water**

11 oz can of Mexican style corn with liquid

6 oz can of tomato paste

3 carrots, diced

10 oz fresh mushrooms, sliced

In a large kettle, cook onions and green peppers in oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until onions are golden, and peppers are soft. Add mustard, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, and cinnamon and cook for a few minutes. Add tomatoes and their liquid, beans and their liquid, corn and its liquid, carrots, mushrooms, and tomato paste.

Reduce heat and simmer rapidly, uncovered for about 40 minutes, or until most of the liquid is cooked away and chili has thickened; stir frequently to prevent scorching.

This serves my family for one meal. We have corn bread and sometimes a salad with it, although I don't have salad makings here tonight. This is a good fasting meal, as it is nutritious, filling, and simple.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I'm on my way over, that sounds fabulous!

November 09, 2007  
Blogger Kitty said...

Ooooh! I was planning on making some soup and quesadillas for dinner, and you've given me some good ideas for spicing it up a bit.

November 09, 2007  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Looks delicious! I like the idea of adding corn. Of course chili would be better with corn--why did I never try that before?

November 09, 2007  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

I'm going to try this! Love the spice combinations.

November 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I come over? MMM

November 10, 2007  
Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

YUM! I'm printing this off and will try it next Friday! Thank you! :)

November 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home