Thursday, January 10, 2008


Well, today is the day, my new icon workshop begins. If you could keep me in your prayers, I would appreciate it. You all really helped me when I did my last workshop. This is a daunting physical and spiritual exercise, and any assistance with prayer on your part would be terrific.

I noticed while blogging around that lots of people had a few days of a warm spell. Aside from the basement being a big hassle, it was terrific. I got all the fall clean up done that I had neglected. I was working outside all day, in short sleeves, in the sun. What a gift! It is cold again already, and may snow again soon, but I was so grateful for the chance to experience a little warmth.

I have been busily preparing for my workshop, getting all the boards gessoed and all my paints mixed and the studio cleaned up. I actually feel like a real artist, since I have paint and gesso all over my clothes. To celebrate, I got (at the thrift store) a funky green shirt to wear to the class tonight, so I can look the part. Have I mentioned how much I love the thrift store? I went there to find a container to mix my paints in. I have to mix a few base colors, as well as flesh tones, and in order to get continuity between the many little containers, I have to make a big batch. I also needed a tool to mix the paint thoroughly, and a rubber spatula to get the paint out and into the little containers. I found the perfect enamel coated 9x13 baking pan, a frosting knife (from Pampered Chef) and a spatula, all for $3.00. Previously I got 13 aprons there, for a dollar each, so my students all are covered up, and all the glassed for rinse water for a few cents each.

I heart the thrift store!!

So, what else. School began again. I love doing school with my kids, really, I do. But during a week like this, I have to use every fiber of self control not to let that priority drop in the ranking. Thankfully, I have been doing this for 10 years, and that last little fiber of self control has had quite a work out. But still...

Please continue with your caption suggestions in the post below. I have some good one's, but would love a little more competition for the prize.

I'm off to conquer the day (yeah, right). Here is a little something to take with you:

Again, we pray for mercy, life, peace, health, salvation, protection, forgiveness and remission of sins~

Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy. Lord, have mercy.



(See, I just randomly opened my prayer book, and that's where I landed. Blessings!

7 Comments:

Blogger Heidi Renee said...

I so wish I was close enough to take your class!

Any online tips would be awesome!

January 10, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Renee! You KNOW I like thrift stores too! Glad you found some good deals.
T shirt outside? We got warm here too, but not t shirty... in fact, it was cloudy and foggy and YUK, even tho' it was warm.
Yesterday was so windy...

Good luck on your workshop endeavours. I'll keep you in our prayers tonight!

Alexa

January 10, 2008  
Blogger Renee said...

Thank you Alexa. So GOOD to hear from you.

Heidi Renee,

Some day, when the chillun's are grown, I am going to do week long retreat/icon workshop here. Some day, I tell you. Check out St. Paraskeva Icon studio link in the side bar weekly for tips.

Blessings!

January 10, 2008  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I want to take the class too!! May it all go well.
The thrift store deals sound great. I need to scout out a good one around here.

January 10, 2008  
Blogger Simple Faith and Life said...

I will pray for the success of your workshop and your physical and spiritual energy.

I love you sharing the Eastern rite prayers. Takes me back to what was once my temporary (five years?) home! The prayers are so beautiful and meaningful.

January 10, 2008  
Blogger Maryellen said...

Renee, I'll be praying for you, too. You sound like you're in Overwhelm, and I pray you will remain strong and cooperate with the Grace that God sends you in trying moments.

May God bless you in all your endeavors.

January 11, 2008  
Blogger Ginger said...

I sure wish I could come take your workshop. You do such breathtaking work...it's a ministry.

January 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home