Monday, March 31, 2008

judgement, the dentist, purgatory and gum disease


There, did that get your attention?

Amongst other things that are keeping me busy and away from the blog, I have had a great succession of dental visits. Today while I was having my root planing and scraping something or nother, I was contemplating that going to the dentist after a long avoidance is like meeting Christ for my judgment after I die. Yes, I try to keep my teeth clean. I did have one cavity I knew of, but it didn't hurt, so I ignored it. I did the best I could, dental hygiene wise, but I did know I could do better. I just figured someday, later in life, I would be diligent with my teeth. Everything seemed fine to me.

Then one day, one of my molars fell apart. Oops. I called the dentist. 3 visits and thousands of dollars later, I have had my gum disease diagnosed and treated, two cavities filled, two crowns scheduled, and 5 more cavities found. Gulp.

So, back to purgatory. There I am, having my roots planed or scraped or whatever, basically deep cleaned. I didn't realize they were that bad. I thought I was ready to face the dentist. I was wrong. But, after a few hours of scraping and other such uncomfortable activity going on in my mouth, as well as drilling, sanding and what not, my mouth is CLEAN. And Healthy, and THAT my friends, is when it hit me about purgatory. When I meet Jesus after I die, in all kindess and care for me, He will most likely point out the areas where I just wasn't able to keep my soul healthy and clean. Then, I will get my soul cleaned by what ever process He has prescribed, and I don't expect it'll be comfortable. But when I am finished, I'll be CLEAN and HEALTHY. Just what a Loving God would want for me, right?

6 Comments:

Blogger Kelly said...

Wow - that is an amazing [and I think quite accurate!] analogy....

I think I need to go "brush my teeth" now!

Kelly

April 01, 2008  
Blogger the mother of this lot said...

Well, if purgatory is a dentist's chair, I'm going to start sorting myself out right now.

April 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great analogy! And while I'm sitting in the dentist chair later this morning, I'll be thinking about it. And you know, I could go further with this. I hate going to the dentist and if it were up to me, I would still be avoiding it. But I have a wonderful helpmate that has nagged --oops, I mean guided-- me into going again and taking care of my teeth. And the same can be said about certain aspects of my spiritual life. Wow! I think you nailed that one!

April 02, 2008  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

I tag you for a meme!

April 02, 2008  
Blogger Mimi said...

Yeouch. I dislike the dentist's chair immensely.

April 02, 2008  
Blogger the mother of this lot said...

Came back to say - you've been tagged!

April 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home