Monday, January 11, 2010

Stuff

I still have way too much stuff. I am working on it, but while watching an episode of "Hoarders" I did have a bit of an epiphany. "If you get rid of this, what dream will die for you?" Oh yes, that is the question. I don't need to sort my stuff, I need to sort my dreams. Oh, now that makes sense.

One of the hardest things is my children's things. Their little clothes and shoes and papers and toys. When I get rid of them, it seems as if I am getting rid of the younger child they used to be. But I can't (and don't) save it all. I just realized I have to go ahead, feel sad, and go on. I try, at times to avoid the sadness by keeping the stuff. Unhealthy. I also realized something ~ I desperately hate that it is a possibility in this life that one of my children may die. It is possible. It happens to families. And today I realized I save things JUST IN CASE one of them dies, I am so afraid I won't have saved enough of them to have something left. Or maybe it is the realization that they are all going to leave some day. They are going to grow up, and the children will be gone. If I don't have some part of them as children, it will be as if it never happened.

Oh my. I guess I just have to get comfortable with the ache that is there when I realize how quickly they are all going away. Just feel it.

And I need to let some dreams go, so I can actually work towards achieving others. With too much "stuff" to manage, I have a challenging time getting anything but basic daily work finished. I must sort, purge and organize, prioritize, my dreams.

5 Comments:

Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

An interesting take on the stuff conundrum. I'm the same way... too many memories and dreams bound up in things.

January 11, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is interesting you blogged about this just now! I've been thinking as well of my desire to live more simply and rid myself of so much "stuff" but where to begin? (Especially with the kids things.) It was a great thing for me to see today as I set to begin one of my new year's resolutions. Thank you!

January 11, 2010  
Blogger Rosemary said...

I so understand this. I hate to throw away things strongly associated with my children's young years. And now my excuse is to save them for my grandchildren. (Mind you, none of my children are even married. My oldest daughter will be married in August.) It's a struggle.

January 11, 2010  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

I watch Hoarders like some people watch an automobile accident. It's awful, but I can't look away. :o|

January 12, 2010  
Anonymous M`Lynn said...

I understand the desire to save things. It's hard for me since my illness comes with huge gaps in my memory, so I feel like I'm losing everything. It is a good reminder, though, that we only live in this moment.

Which doesn't comfort too much, I know. I was snuggling the baby today, thinking that he's probably my last baby, and his little head is still fuzzy and soft. But it won't be long till that blonde fuzz becomes blonde hair just like his big brother's . . and my days of snuggling fuzzy baby heads are through. He'll become a toddler, not a baby. WAAAAA!!!! lol

(my oldest girl is 16. I am not planning on grandbabies anytime soon!)

January 14, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home