Monday, February 15, 2010

The Great Journey Begins

Today the Eastern Christian churches begin Lent. I have tried to put more planning into how to go about embracing the Fast, which does include menu preparation. But also I feel I am being asked to "root out" some aspects of my life. Permanently. As in not just giving something up for Lent, then going back to it after Pascha. So, here are my main goals:

Less time on the internet, more time blogging. I have neglected this space. I have found tremendous spiritual benefit from keeping up this blog, so I am going to put more effort into it.

I will decrease Facebook, and news sites.

I will join in with 40 bags in 40 days, a decluttering effort shared by others this Lent. I am praying I will become more detached to stuff, and some permanent growth will take place.

I will detach from food as comfort and companion. I will eat healthy, but by embracing the Fast, I will decrease my inordinate attachment to the comfort food brings.

AND, I will not have any alcohol during Lent, but will return to enjoying my Belgium beer once Pascha has come.

I will read some good books that I have not had the time to tackle, like Brothers K.

I will try to go to as many church services as I can during Lent, but if I don't go, I will use the time for rest, reflection, and re-ordering.

and that should do it, don't you think?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Aileen said...

Sounds like a great plan, Renee! Pretty similar to mine, actually. I'm going to try to do 40 bags in 40 days. I've already got 3 set aside, so that's a good start. I'm limiting my computer time and upping prayer time. I'm also giving up alcohol, most especially wine. I love wine, and I look forward to a glass around dinner time when both the kids and I are tired and cranky. I think I'll turn to tea as my calming beverage, instead. :)

February 15, 2010  
Blogger Kate said...

Sounds like a lot! I'm impressed! I'm trying to keep my lenten resolutions simple, so that I'll keep them - like you, I want to make some changes that will stick after Easter as well. So #1 is to try to live by the rhythms of the day - go to bed and wake up with the sun, as much as I can. I might still be up after the kids in the evening when I have dishes or housework or something to finish up, but then, off to bed! #2 is that I intend to cut out sugar and white flour as much as I can. Which is hard for someone who enjoys baking (and eating!!) sweet things as much as I do!

February 15, 2010  
Blogger the mother of this lot said...

An excellent list! And as my Lent doesn't start till tomorrow, I will join you in the 40 bags in 40 days challenge!

February 16, 2010  
Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

Your Lenten plan is similar to mine, Renee! My unhealthy food attachments are the area I feel most need my attention this Lent...:(

I have begun The Father K twice--this last time I was about 250 pages in and just stopped. I love the book but it takes quiet moments to read and those are few and far between here in my home. :S

Prayers for you!

February 16, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home