Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Where in the World?

I can not believe the unwritten posts in my head and heart. I need to at least jot down the inspirations, so ideally I'll get back to it someday.

But, I haven't, and the ideas have slipped away into the ether. Instead of a real, substantial post, I'll do a baby update. She is still the highlight of the house, the little queen of the castle, and, yes, super cute.


Melanie at Halloween. Our little Giraffe.

Melanie is nearly 21 months now. She is like a mountain goat, she is so agile and always climbing. Nothing is safe, no matter where I put it or how high. She pushes chairs and stools, and stacks things to climb up. I have never had a child do this sort of thing before. And, like most almost two year olds, she loves toilets and if she is quiet more than 2 minutes, we must immediately find her and clean up her mess.

She is very quiet though. We call her the "stealth baby". She speaks very little yet, just Mommy, Daddy, a few siblings names and please. She grunts and points mostly, but is able to communicate quite effectively. She had a visit from a very talkative cousin, who is only a few months older than her, recently. After that, she has been babbling quite a bit, and seems to see the advantage in using words instead of gestures to get her desires met.

Melanie is a good sleeper at night, but a terrible napper. oy. No break in the day usually, except for the 20 minutes of trying to get her to take a nap in the afternoon. Occasionally, I'll get lucky and she'll take a real nap, but most the time not so much. So not the way I parented my other children at this age.

She is very sweet, she pats and caresses people, and when I hold her she always plays with my hair a little, very gently. She gives good kisses, and is very, very gentle with babies (so many of her siblings had one at this age. Weird).

She loves to play chase, and loves to run, and to be outdoors. She also loves to sit with books, and is very careful with them.

I can't believe I don't have any more current photos of her on my camera right now, but I'll work on getting the ones on there now downloaded, plus taking more now. Her little self is so cute, but the growing up is happening quickly, and I want more documentation.

So, I'll keep trying to have more substance, someday. Until then, God bless, and Blessed Advent Season to you all!

4 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

It's always good to hear from you. I miss the weight of a baby on my lap and my baby is soon to be 23 years old!
I also love your bookshelves. All those children's books! I don't have room for more than one sixfoot by 30 inch wide book shelf and hope for more one day!

December 07, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww - little Melanie! Too cute!

Barb

December 07, 2010  
Blogger priest's wife - S.T./ Anne Boyd said...

My baby will be 18 months on the 18th- time really does fly!

December 11, 2010  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

Cutest giraffe I've ever seen! :o)

Emily wasn't a climber. She was tall enough to reach everything she wanted! EEP.

December 15, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home