Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Tagged by Kate

I am finally getting to this. Thanks for the nod Kate, meme's are always fun.

What I was doing 10 years ago: I was married for nearly 3 years, and had 2 children, a boy and a girl, and was newly expecting number 3. We were having one of our financial and insurance crisis' and wondering how we would possibly endure. Needless to say, we did. God is good. I lived in our first, lovely home, that will be my favorite forever. It was as big as our new addition, but it was cute and love blossomed in that house.

5 years ago: I was in the middle of a terrible bout of post partum depression, and not knowing it. I had my fifth child, was homeschooling and trying to keep up a beautiful 1930's Beaver Cleaver house (our second home). Dh was finishing up his MBA at the University of Chicago, and was rarely home. I thought I was going to die. Needless to say, I didn't.

1 year ago: I was having my "babymoon" with baby #7, and thoroughly enjoying my summer. Through the years, I learned to let everythng else take the back seat to recovering from pregnancy and birth, and then I actually do recover. I have learned to say, "No" alot, especially to my dh who comes up with all sorts of things to keep our lives hopping. I used to try to go along, to show him how accomodating I was, and how strong I was. I nearly killed me. Now, I just say, "No, I can't. I need to keep it simple." Shocker, he still loves me, he still thinks I am a good wife, and he still thinks I am strong. One year ago, I was basking in the loveliness of a newborn, and letting it all soak in.

Yesterday: I said goodbye to my dh and oldest son, as they left on a week long trip to New Mexico for a Byzantine Boys Bootcamp. They took our big white van, and another dad, and 6 other boys from church, and off they went. First time by firstborn has been away from me so long, and I am so happy for him. And, I received the best hugs from him. Two of the longest, most sincere, and loving hugs I have received from him in years.

5 Snacks I enjoy:
Chips and guacamole
Deluxe mixed nuts with a cold beer
Coffee with a little something (cookie, muffin biscotti, etc.)
yogurt with granola in it
cheese and crackers (especially goat chees with balsamic vinegar)
Potato chips, expecially salt and vinegar

5 songs I know all the words to
Any song from the "Oh Brother Where Art Thou" soundtrack
Peter Gabriel's Your Eyes
Bee Gee's Jive Talkin
How Great Thou Art
Mass of William Byrd for 3 parts

5 things I would do with $100 million dollars

Buy a school building for my dh's newborn college Transfiguration College
Pay off our house
Pay off my parents and dh's parents house
Pay off my and my dh's siblings houses
Feed the poor/dig wells/build houses, like Food for the Poor does.

5 locations to which I would like to run

Hawaii
Any secluded mountain top monestary
My room, currently under construcion
A beach along the pacific coast that no one else knows about
Anywhere quiet

5 bad habits I have
procrastination
interrupting conversations
jumping to conclusions
not putting things away when I am done
not sticking to a schedule for more that a few weeks

5 things I like doing

Writing icons
Reading
Driving in the country, alone
Reading to my kids
Talking to my dh over a good bottle of wine

5 things I would never wear
High heels
Lots of jewelry
Anything short tight or cut down to there or up to here
Long denim jumpers (I am burned out on those after all those years)
nylons

5 TV shows I like
What not to wear
In a Fix
Clean Sweep
Monk
Law and Order

5 biggest joys of the moment

3 year old chubby arms squeezed tightly around my neck
One year old doing nearly anything. WHAT A CUTIE!!
Watching all 7 of the kiddos together
Attending Divine Liturgy
Having moments of real connection with dh

5 favorite toys

My laptop
My art supplies
My music, not an iPod, however =(
My new salad spinner (makes eating healthy fun!)
Big plastic jungle animals I got at a garage sale. I mean, these are 8-12 inches. This kids love playing with them, and I love watching them play. There is a male and female lion, a tiger, a giraffe, an elephant, an antelope, and a rhino.

5 next victims

Well as usual, I do these merely as suggestions, as I know this takes a long time. BUT, I would love to see M'lynn, Veronica, Kalanna, Philothea Rose, and Zelie do this so I could know them better.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you get away with NEVER wearing nylons? I hate them too, but I wear them to weddings, funerals, ordinations, etc. If you have a secret please let us know!
I enjoy your blog.
Beth

July 14, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

Gonna get on that soon, Renee! :)

July 14, 2005  
Blogger Kate said...

My secret to never wearing nylons is to always wear looooong skirts. ;-)

July 15, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

In the winter, I wear long skirts and boots, with black cuddledud long underwear under the skirt. In summer, I wear sandals, paint my toe nails, and use the fake tanning lotion. I also wear a culotte (sp?) slip under skirts for comfort. It's not as glamorous as some, but it suits me, and I have never felt out of place anywhere I have gone.

July 15, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

I think it's so funny that I spent alot of time thinking out these answers, and the comment are about wearing nylons. This tell you what women really want to know, eh?? =)

July 15, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah - that was a little shallow of me! We left a wedding yesterday and began the LONG ride home I slipped off my nylons in the parking lot!! I have done the boots in winter but I guess I'm just too uptight to wear sandals instead of pumps!

July 17, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home