Friday, March 31, 2006

An interesting comment



I received this comment yesterday about Our Lady of the Sign icon that I recently wrote. I am highlighting it here, along with my response, because I realize how I neglected to adequately explain this icon. I am sorry if it caused anyone else confusion or concern!

gina said...

aw...it was "He" who is more spacious than the heavens. it was "He" who contains what the universe cannot contain..
it is "He" who bathes the sky with His beauty.
it is "He" whom we should pray to.
it was "He" who sent His only begotten Son Jesus, to die for our sins. God bless...

Mary Poppins NOT said...

I am sorry if I didn't explain this well enough, gina.

The reason "She who is more spacious that the heavens" is used, is simply to indicate that the body of Mary contained the Creator of the Universe, who cannot be contained. This implies the majesty and humility, love and mercy of God, not any power of Mary's. She held the unholdable because He willed it. She merely said, "Be it done to me according to Thy word."

This is really an icon of the Incarnation of Christ. Her hand are in that position "Orans" which means praying. Christ's hands are in a blessing position. This is an important distinction, because Mary doesn't Bless, she prays to God just like us. Only Christ Blesses.

Thanks for stopping by, gina.

5 Comments:

Blogger DeeDee Kay said...

Beautifully and charitably explained, MPN. I especially like the distinction between the respective positions of their hands.
I understand Gina's dislike of the term "praying to Mary." One of the definitions of the intransitive verb "pray" does mean "to address God in adoration, confession, petition or thanksgiving". Present-day usage of the verb among non-Catholics is limited to this definition.
However, another definition of "pray" simply means "to make a request in a humble manner." This is the understood usage among Catholics as it relates to praying to Mary and the saints and angels in heaven.

March 31, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Yes, well put Renee.....
I will confess I sit in adoration/contemplation of my icon.
There is much to be gained from the simple act of just being.

March 31, 2006  
Blogger Mama Heffalump said...

Very interesting. I am learning a lot about that which I knew nothing. *Smile*

April 01, 2006  
Blogger Stephanie said...

hmm i see!!

April 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice, Renee! I haven't visited here for a while; the site looks great.
I haven't seen you at CT lately; you might want to read my latest, some reflections on the Divine Liturgy.
-Daniel

April 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home