Wednesday, March 29, 2006

One of the most amazing dates of the year


Wonderful day yesterday. In an odd twist of fate, I gave birth twice on the same day, four years apart. So I am now the proud mother of a 10 year old and a 6 year old.

I took the older kiddos to their P.E. class yesterday, and the little kiddos to the store. While checking out after getting groceries, the newly 6 year old told the cashier, "Today is my birthday AND my sister's birthday. I was born on her fourth birthday so I was basically her birthday present."

As usual on the kiddos birthday, I mentally go through the actual Birth day, and remember the thrill of meeting them for the first time. I remember those moments so clearly, clearly enough to bet I won't ever forget. This year, my daughter and I celebrated the exact moment she turned 10 by hugging and watching the clock. For two entire minutes, one before and one after the moment, we embraced and she excitedly looked to her "double digits" and to the future, and I tenderly looked back to the first moment I laid eyes on her. Isn't that so much a part of motherhood, watching your children look forward with eager anticipation, while the sweet and tender moments of their childhood and infancy pull our thoughts backward? I think that is just one more talent of parents, looking forward and backward at exactly the same time.

To my lovely "middle" daughters, I love you, I am grateful for you, and I have been so blessed to have you share my life. I anticipate watching you grow into the women God has made you to be with great joy. Happy 6th and 10th birthdays, girls!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's really neat! Happy birthday to two beautiful little girls!

March 29, 2006  
Blogger Mama Heffalump said...

~*~Happy Birthday Sweetie Pies!~*~

(Rosie thought turning double digits was cool too! *Grin*)

March 30, 2006  
Blogger Nevermore said...

I am such a bad uncle...tell them happy birthday for me.

March 31, 2006  
Blogger earthie said...

Yay for birthdays! That was a beautiful post, and they are blessed to have such a mother, as you are blessed with them. Thanks for sharing!

March 31, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Happy 6 and 10 to the girls! Birthdays are so great!!

March 31, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

You brought tears to my eyes!

I had a baby 10 years ago on March 25th, so we were pregnant together!

April 03, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

Happy Belated Birthday wishes to your little ones!

Renee, when it is my childrens birthdays I always visualise when they were first placed into my arms, how it felt to smell their baby skin, I still felt that I could protect them from all that might harm them, yes, I get pretty much a weepy mess at birthdays!

God Bless

April 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home