Friday, January 19, 2007

An Answer to the High Fructose Corn Syrup question

Rosemary and Ginger both asked what was the big deal about HFCS. I had been looking up info to post, and then I received two comments that did the work for me. Thanks Alicia and Aileen (who happens to be my very own Sister-in-law!!)

alicia said... HFCS seems to have a higher glycemic index than just plain sugar - it is digested faster and causes more fluctuations in your blood glucose and insulin levels. Also it is sweeter tasting (probably because it is more soluble), and hence, more addictive.


Aileen said...
Sugar, or sucrose, consists of equal parts glucose and fructose. HFCS can contain 2x as much fructose as glucose. Glucose can be metabolized by all cells, whereas fructose is metabolized by the liver. High quantities of fructose put a strain on the liver. There are also a number of other dangers of consuming HFCS, as can be found in the following article:

http://www.westonaprice.org/modernfood/highfructose.html

Thanks ladies!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

That explains it. Thank you.

January 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No prob, Renee! :) I'm thankful for your blog for drawing my attention to it in the 1st place. After I mentioned trying to cut HFCS out of our diet, my DH asked why (of course), thus prompting me to do some research.

Thanks also to Anne Basso for pointing out its usage in bread. Now I'm constantly reading labels!

January 20, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, the replies here are partly true, partly false. HFCS is not more high glycemic than regular sugar. It is lower on the GI. BUT some research does suggest that it's processed differently in our bodies, leading to some diseases. Some argue that a sugar is a sugar, but I tend to believe the HFCS-is-dangerous-for-you theory.

Sorry, no time to get into in more detail, but I discuss this in more depth in my new book, SUGAR SHOCK!

All the best to you all.

Connie
Author, SUGAR SHOCK! (Berkley Books)
www.SugarShockBlog.com

January 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home