Thursday, January 25, 2007

Dressed Up Meatloaf


We buy a side of beef every year to give us an inexpensive, high quality protien source. While we certainly enjoy the roasts and the steaks that come with this side of beef, by far the most plentiful type of meat we have is ground beef. The beef is is lean and tasty, but requires some creativity to prepare it frequently while not getting worn out on it. I'll share one of my favorite secrets for a very dressed up meat loaf.

Prepare your meat loaf as you usually do. I add bread crumbs, eggs, ketchup, chopped onions, peppers and a variety of seasonings. Put one half of the meat mixture in a loaf pan. On top of that, put ham slices and either sharp cheddar or blue cheese (actually, any meat slice/cheese mixture you want will work. I use "what ever we have on hand"). Put the rest of the meat loaf mixture on top, and bake as usual.

Then, take some butter, saute sliced mushroom until tender. Add beef broth and ground pepper and heat through.

In a seperate bowl mix about 1/2 c. red wine with 2 tablespoons corn starch and whisk into the mushroom mixture. Stir until it thickens.

Serve mushroom sauce hot over meatloaf slices, and you will have one extra-ordinary meatloaf. Enjoy!!

(re: photo ~ do you get it??)

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I get it! :) I thought it was going to be a post on music. Guess I'm dating myself there, huh! Your meatloaf ideas sound yummy!

January 25, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

I get it!

My mom always made meatloaf, shaped in a heart shape for Valentine's Day. Even though we are vegetarians, we keep the tradition with a nut loaf.

January 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got it I got it! Very punny, Renee! The meatloaf recipe sounds good!

January 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFLOL !
The meatloaf sounds wonderful; I will have to make some next week ...

January 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got it! *Wink*

January 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since it is extremely cold where I live, I think I will try this out tonight.

I'll bake the meatloaf, then I will eat the meatloaf while I put on a CD of Meatloaf and sip a nice Chianti. That should make for a warm cozy evening.

January 26, 2007  
Blogger Rosemary said...

Sounds yummy.

January 26, 2007  
Blogger alicia said...

where do you buy your side of beef? That is something that I would like to do....
also, I am looking into CSA groups in the area. Any suggestions?

January 27, 2007  
Blogger alicia said...

OK - so I took up the challenge.
I mixed a pound of ground beef with a few croutons, some saltine cracker crumbs, and the last of last week's homemade bread. I added in a can of chopped tomatoes, some dried onion, a package of dried vegetable soup mix, a dash of worstershire, a dash of tabasco, and an egg. I put half into a loaf pan (I usually free form the loaf in my cast iron skillet) and sliced over the half two smoked beef franks and then added some sliced swiss and a few chunks of smoked cheddar. I then packed the rest of the meat mixture on top and covered the top with parchment paper. Erik recently had a post about cooking meat loaf like pates, in a bain-marie, so that is how I am cooking it. I am doing oven roasted root vegetables on the side so that they can cook in the same oven. It's a lot of food for just the two of us but there will be meat loaf sandwiches in our future.

January 27, 2007  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

This is obviously "The Very Best of Meatloat." Try eating it by the "light of the moon" with your honey for an extra kick.

This recipe rocks!
Kitchen Madonna

January 31, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our dear father-in-law was raving about your meatloaf with mushroom-wine sauce today! Now, I *really* have to try it! :)

January 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home