Saturday, November 10, 2007

Update on the Chili

The chili was fabulously delicious. I had made it once before, but I
took more time with it this time and it was so good. I served these
muffins with it, and I highly recommend them. I used all white flour, though, because my whole wheat flour was old and smelled funny, so I dumped it.

Upper Crust Bakery's Oatmeal Muffins

1 1/3 cups old fashioned oats (I used quick oats and it seemed to be fine)
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
3 eggs, slightly beaten
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup all purpose flour, sifted
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease standard size muffing cups. Place oats and buttermilk
in a bowl and stir to combine (I used milk + vinegar, and it worked
fine). Add beaten eggs to that mixture and mix well with a spoon. Add
brown sugar and oil to the mixture. Stir well, making sure that clumps
of sugar are dissolved. In a separate bowl sift the dry ingredients
together.
Turn the oatmeal mixture into the dry ingredients and stir only to
dampen them. Do not over mix. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a light
to medium golden brown. Turn baked muffins onto a wire rack and cool.
Makes 12.

NOTE:
These muffins will dome better if final mixture sits for about 15
minutes or so before filling muffin cups. (I did for about 5 minutes
and they were domed nicely).

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like a nicely domed muffin I always say! :o)

November 13, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going to try these!
KM

November 14, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home