Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mandylion

Okay, thank you Daniel, for the gentle kick in the keister to get this done. I could give loads of excuses for the delay, but won't. Sorry for the delay =).


So here it is. This icon is also called, "The Holy Napkin" or "Not Made by Human Hands", as it is a representation of a miraculous image that Jesus left on a piece of cloth. It is in the same category as "Our Lady of Guadalupe", which was created miraculously, also.





The first picture is as far as the icon is now. I still need to put the letters on the halo, the ones that represent "I AM who AM". I was so tired by the end of the workshop I didn't want to try it then, as lettering is one of the most difficult parts for me. I will be working on that this Thursday when my class resumes.



The second picture is a closeup of the face, before the halo was put in.




One photo "in progress", the beginning of the face.



This is just before beginning the face.



And another shot of the finished icon.

This is my favorite icon I have written so far. I want to do more of this pattern, because it was such intimate contact with Our Lord, and I just fell in love.
(Remember, you can click on the images and get a closer look)

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, very beautiful. I agree, this is your best yet. And isn't it a great icon to paint?

April 22, 2008  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

That is gorgeous, especially the eyes. Thank you for sharing this icon with us :)

April 22, 2008  
Blogger Mimi said...

Wow, it is beautiful! Thank you for sharing the photos.

April 22, 2008  
Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

Renee,
This icon is so beautiful. I can only imagine the graces you received while writing it.
God bless you!

April 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Renee! Beautiful! Our Lord is beautiful! I was so happy that I went to visit Deb (UKOK) and her blog and saw that you invited her to come and look so that I could too! :)
Miss you! Suzanne (formerly SincerelyMyThoughts)
PS I went to my very first Byzantine Rite Mass on Sunday night! Wow!
LOTS O INCENSE! Hmm? Lots of singing...lots of making the Sign of the Cross. It was so good and holy.
I looked up at our two beautiful icons that are usually in the back chapel and they of course had them displayed and I was thinking of you. :) You see, you make an impression with what you do that lasts and lasts! Amen and God has gifted you, lady. Suzanne (again)

April 22, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That really is beautiful, Renee. I think my favorite so far too ---

It reminds me of Veronica's veil - although I know that's not what it is meant to be ---

Wish I had such a holy endeavour!

April 22, 2008  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

What an angel of inspiration you must have to create such an icon! I loved reading about it too.

I'm getting something into the mail for you!

Mwah!

April 23, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, Renee, the more I look at this the more I realize just how exquisite it is; I think you have broken through to a whole other level, iconographically speaking.

April 23, 2008  
Blogger Renee said...

Thank you all, for your kind comments. And Daniel, thank you very much for your encouragement. It means more than you know!

April 25, 2008  
Blogger Cathy said...

WOW!

That is SO great!

Thanks for sharing.

May 01, 2008  
Blogger Cathy said...

I can't remember - do you ever sell your icons?

Thanks.

May 01, 2008  
Blogger Renee said...

Ma ~

I haven't sold one before, but I would do one specifically to sell if one was interested. The size and complexity of the icon would determine the price.

May 02, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home