Thursday, May 15, 2008

In God's Time

I apologize for the lack of new material here lately. I just haven't had much time to attend to the blog lately. I also have let my daily walks slip, and I realize that is where much of my thinking and formulating of posts took place When I am here at the house, I am constantly being engaged by somebody (read: interrupted) and most of my unformed thoughts stay just that: unformed.

At the same time, I realize my fat pants are getting tight, so I need to get back to my walks for that reason as well. The most difficult part of "getting started" is, well, getting started. In my mind, I see myself out for a great hike, enjoying myself and my surroundings. In real life, the act of actually getting my self together and getting my trusty iPod ready, grabbing a bottle of water and setting off, well, for some reason that just seems to be very difficult to pull off. I need a kick in the kiester to get started. If anyone has words of wisdom and motivation for me, please feel free to leave them in the comments section.

In the meantime, I have been gardening and getting some exercise that way. I used to have gardening as a solitary pursuit, but now that some of the kids are older, they are helping me. This is very good, as I get more done, but it does put a bit of a damper on the contemplative part of yard work for me. As my wise sister in law said to me once, "you always have to give up something good to get something good".

Too true, too true.

In other news, my icon class is finishing up tonight for the most part (the one we stared in the fall), and some of the participants will be continuing on with new icons. So, more pictures on the way. I still haven't finished my icon, but should be able to tonight. I just need to do a few touch ups and letters. I also am still working on the Samaritan Woman at the Well icon, and hope I will get that finished this summer. I would really like to do another Mandylion, on a smaller board, with the same color palette. Of course, I have 3 acres to garden, many children to plan next school year for, and lots of other regular chores like cooking and cleaning and laundry that keep delaying my icon plans. But, in God's time, I will complete the icon, and since my iconography is all for the Glory of God, I am satisfied with that.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

The most difficult part of "getting started" is, well, getting started

Um, yeah, how true that is.

I'm so glad you got started on the icons, though, because they are amazing, as always!

May 15, 2008  
Blogger Unknown said...

Think about how much better you feel after walking. Yes tired, but also energized. You've given yourself some time to be alone with your thoughts, as well as the opportunity to take in the beauty of God's creation. Moms need their alone time just like they need girl time; it maintains sanity which is best for all involved.

I know your schedule is crazy busy, but you do have older kids. Can they help the younger ones with school? If you plan ahead, you can plan to take walks on days that you're cooking dinner for hours in the crock pot or on days where you've assembled a casserole, stew, or soup and can count on the older kids to put it in the oven/stove and/or take it out/turn it off when it's ready.

With the weather warming up, filling salads (i.e. topped with protein like beans or meat and cheese) are great for lunch. Also, dinner doesn't have to take forever to cook. If DH is home, have him grill meat! Buy some multigrain rolls and throw a salad together to go with it.

Make it a point to eat complex carbs. I rarely eat white bread or white pasta or potatoes, and I feel great! And, like your doctor said a while ago, incorporate lots of color into your diet. I personally love bell peppers, so I toss them into eggs, salads, and main dishes.

May 19, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home