Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Ordinary Days

The other day, while reading Jen's 7 Quick Takes, I watched this video. It is a little long as far as You Tube clips go, but for moms in particular, every moment rings true. Warm up your cup of tea or coffee, and enjoy this. You may need a kleenex. I did.



So, being inspired thusly, I have decided to do just that ~ treasure my ordinary days, and soak up the time I have with my children. I received a new camera for Christmas from my husband, and have set out to use it this week with the phrase, "Ordinary Days" in mind.

One of thousands of diaper changes that have taken place here. This one is typical in its communication, tenderness and joy. I have never, ever taken a picture of a diaper change before, but these are some of the most tender and intimate moments between baby and either parent or sibling.



Melanie eating spaghetti for the first time. She was watching her dad talk to her sisters, in the photo below.


Typical animated discussion. Sadly, the boys had already finished dinner and weren't in any of these photos. I will remedy that today and tomorrow.

Typical teenage reaction to "let me take your picture".

And here is Melanie playing with the doll house again. This time you can see the inside. And as usual, I have dressed her up like a little dolly and think she is the cutest little 11 month old on the planet.


This is my 5 year old helping Melanie down the hallway.



My seven year old, just hanging around, being cute.


So, I will be carrying my camera with me more, and documenting my ordinary days while I still have them. My eldest enrolled for his senior year yesterday, so I see the writing on the wall, these days are short. Tomorrow, I will make certain to get pictures of the rest of the boys.

5 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

I agree: she IS the cutest 11 month old on the planet.

February 24, 2010  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

I love the photos :-)

I too must learn to make the most of every minute......

February 25, 2010  
Anonymous heidi said...

Thank you, Renee. This has inspired me to enjoy the 6 little ones I still have home all day. It's so true that they grow up so fast. When the 6 who are at school all day now were little, I thought my life as a preschool mom would go on forever and it made me so depressed because it was lonely and hard. Well, I'm still a mom of preschoolers but also school age kids and it's still hard and lonely at times but not depressing because I know all too soon the 6 who are here will be where the older 6 are now and the first 6 will be out of the house or close to it. I'm trying to enjoy all the stages I have around me and not wish time to go faster! Thank you again!!

February 25, 2010  
Anonymous ukok said...

That green dress with the flowers on that your darling Melanie is wearing, makes her look just adorable! Of course, my bet is that she is adorable whatever you dress her in. Love the pics and look forward to seeing more :-)

February 25, 2010  
Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

Sweet. All of those lovely moments treasured. And my little namesake is adorable.

I agree about diaper changes. It is sometimes the best moment of my day. When I just look into baby's eyes and we bond. When we sing silly songs, play tickle games, have heart to heart chats. Why do I so often want to delegate it to someone else?

February 28, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home