Friday, February 11, 2005

Counting my blessings

This lousy cold still has me laid low, but is slightly better today. I was still mildly productive, and am ready for school on Monday, so don't have to worry about that over the week end. In-laws are coming to visit Sat. We have no guest room, so they sleep in the living room. I feel racked with guilt how little I look forward to their visits, I mean they are my kids grandparents for heaven sakes, and they are good, decent people . One of the many areas I am so blessed is the support I get in living an authentically Catholic life from my parents and dh's parents. Both couples are married 40 years, thrilled with the large family, homeschooling , and all the rest. I literally am the only person I know who has that from both sides of the family. None of my siblings' spouses have it so nice. None of dh's siblings' spouses have it so nice. That is a blessing I don't appreciate often enough. So the in-laws have a hybrid of trendy diets (Blood type, Atkins, and something else. ) We spend a great share of their visit trying to get the right food for them here. Because we don't see them very often, I am not used to dh's behavior around them. I will have more opportunities for biting my tongue this weekend. It will be good for me.

A little cute thing - 2 y.o. ds is religious about saying "God Bless you" if he hears a sneeze. With this cold going around the family, he is saying it often and hearing "Thankyou" from grateful family members. Ever the polite child, he replies, "Your welcome!". Since we are on the 3 rd day of many, many sneezes, he has abbreviated the whole thing to "Your welcome" following every sneeze.

4 Comments:

Blogger Essy said...

Kids are the greatest...mine keep me entertained all day long...LOL. When my 17 month old wanted to ask for something he would point to it and say 'thank you'...LOL. He hasn't been doing that much anymore and I miss it already.

February 11, 2005  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

precious.

i understand about the in-laws - mine are married 40+ years, family is everything to them - my relationship changed with my mil when she was diagnosed with breast cancer 9 years ago. she was recently admitted to the hospital with tia's - mini-strokes. it brought the entire family together when she got home for lunch and i can honestly say, it was one of the warmest, coolest times i've ever had with my dh's family.

just being married so freaking long is a miracle in and of itself. you never hear of it any more.

you are blessed to have them, especially if they are supportive of you. i hardly get more than an ounce of support from my own family, so i overlook a lot of the in-law's faults because their good points completely tilt the scales to their favor.

peace.

February 12, 2005  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

i said "warmest, coolest."

i am such a dork.

February 12, 2005  
Blogger Renee said...

I totally got the "warmest, coolest" thing. I think it's actually quite descriptive.

February 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home