Thursday, February 23, 2006

The Plague has finally left us


Thanks for all the prayers. I tell you I needed every one of them. As it turned out, baby wasn't showing improvement on Monday, and she continued to be very sick. Finally, finally yesterday morning when we woke up she stayed awake for a while, got out of bed and walked around a bit, picking up toys and muttering to herself. She and I had been sleeping either in my bed or on the couch, with me sitting up and her on top if me. She wouldn't consider sleeping in her bed, or apart from me. I wasn't really comfortable leaving her alone either, as she had a horrible cough, and a fever that would come out of nowhere.

She had a day or two of HORRIBLE nose-bleeds. I never, in all my baby years, have seen such a sight as going in to get her after a nap in her crib, and having her be covered in blood, from head to toe. I can't even remember all the thoughts that ran through my head, but after 10 minutes and lots of washing and nose holding and baby screaming and trying to calm down the other freaked-out kids, and calling dh to come home, I was spent. And I think that was last Thursday. And then it just kept going - she stayed sick, and the rest of them dropped like flies, even dh on Saturday. By Tuesday night, I was just in tears from fatigue.

And then the clouds parted. Wednesday, baby's fever was gone, and she ate, and drank without me forcing her. She played, she smiled. The others where up and about. We had family dinner last night. Only the hold out 9 year old if feeling poorly, and we'll see today what that turns into.

Whew. What a ride. That was the first time so many kiddos where sick at the same time, and having dh sick, too, well, I don't want to do that again any time soon. Worry and fatigue put together are ugly, and never since I had all seven of these kids has it seemed like so many. I told my mom, "It really FELT like seven kids was alot when they were all sick." She said, "On a good day seven kids feel like alot. When they are sick, it probably feels like you have 14 kids." That about sums it up.

Now there's just lots of coughing going on, and I am still pushing fluids. It's looking up.

Funny thing, we have this new addition, and all that. When everyone was feeling so badly, they all wanted to be in the same room. So the smallest room in the house, the den, was the infirmary. It is right next to the kitchen, a bathroom, and has the TV in it. Worked well.

Statistics:

Went through 4 jars of apple sauce, two batches of Tapioca pudding, 9 boxes of kleenex, 2 liters of pop, 5 containers of O.J.,3 big bottles of apple juice, 9 episodes of "The Lone Ranger", over and over and over, 4 bottles of children's motrin, a phone call to the doctor, 3 containers of Clorox wipes, and 2 new humidifiers.

Okay, I am going to stop whining now. All is well again, and I am grateful beyond measure. Praise God!

8 Comments:

Blogger Elena LaVictoire said...

Sounds like you've put in your penance before Lent! Hope things get better now and that you remain healthy too!




Just as a side note - My son is a nose bleeder. My pediatrician says that it happens more to boys than girls. Folks that start with nose bleeds early in life will have nose bleeds easier than the average person even when they're grown, but some outgrow it. My 16-year-old has had nose bleeds since he was a baby, but not as frequently now. He recognizes it and just deals with it on his own. But it helps when you know what to expect.

February 23, 2006  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

I'm sorry to hear how all of you were suffering. I am glad you are feeling better.

February 23, 2006  
Blogger Mama Heffalump said...

Sounds like what the family needs now is a vacation! Praising God with you! *\0/*

February 24, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Oh my! It is so hard when everyone is so sick. We had a year like that last year. Ours also entailed a rush to the hospital. Yes, the fatigue and worry are the worse. So glad to hear you're all starting to come out of it all. I feel for you, it's tough!

God Bless!

February 24, 2006  
Blogger Essy said...

Glad to hear that you are all doing better.

February 24, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Glad you are all feeling better and wise words from your Mother.....she must be very smart....

February 24, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

We've all been under attack lately, it seems! I'm so relieved to hear that your family is coming out the other side of illness now, as is mine.

Thanks be to a Glorious God!

February 26, 2006  
Blogger ~pen~ said...

you poor dear -- sorry i've not been by in so long, but i've not visited too many others either!

your blog looks beautiful renee. alexa, i am presuming? fantastic. really cool and inviting.

blessings, dear one.
p

February 28, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home