Monday, March 13, 2006

Penultimate post on the icon progress







So here is Our Lady of the Sign, almost finished. I still have some cleaning up to do, Jesus' halo, and the lettering.

Alexa commented on this being called "writing" an icon. Icons are more than religious pictures. These are on the level of the Gospels. They teach the faith, and it is as if I am copying the bible. So it's called "writing". The patterns are passed down from generation to generation, and are not allowed to be changed without the bishop's approval so that it can be made sure no theological truth has been changed, left out or confused. I wish I could go into this more now, but am still trying to catch up around here, and shouldn't spend more time on the computer. I will try to explain this more later. Thanks to you all for your encouraging comments. This is a difficult and tiring project, very worthwhile, but quite challenging. I appreciate your enthusiasm. Blessings!
(agian, click on the photos for a closer look)

5 Comments:

Blogger Nevermore said...

Beautiful! You are becoming quite an accomplished Iconographologisticogist…er what have you. Just a reminder, send photos so I may not fade away as an empty page…ps send me your email address, I don’t have it.

March 14, 2006  
Blogger Nevermore said...

Wanted to add that I looked through your photo progression and I was struck by the 'coming to be' of the image. The face especially. It emerges out of the dark colors gradually. We should do a stop action filming of the progression of one of these paintings, sort of like the old flip book cartoons that we used to draw, it really shows how we are created in the image and likeness of God if only in some slight metaphorical way. The progression from nothing to a golden beauty is inspiring to see.

March 14, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne said...

This is beautiful work! I feel truly blessed to view this progression. God bless you!

March 14, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Beautiful! Your work is absolutely lovely.

March 14, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

I can't believe you leafed that whole background........man did I ever have a hard time with that. Whew! Bravo and very beautiful.......I am so antsy to try my hand and spirit at another.

March 16, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home