Wednesday, March 08, 2006

More Icon Progress





So this is what I have accomplished in the last two days. As you can see, progress slows considerably. This is also because I had to redo many details, as I wasn't happy with them the first time. So, today I will be working on her outer robes, baby Jesus' robes. Then I will do the faces. At the end I will gold leaf the entire back ground. Usually I only gold leaf the halos, but this time I decided to go all out. Then, I will paint on the halo lines and the lettering on the gold leaf.

All this will hopefully be finished by the middle of next week. I have to get going, to do school with the kids, plan dinner, do a load or two of laundry, feed the kiddos breakfast, and then get the big kids set on their dayly work. Then, I can go work on my icon. Dh will be coming and going all day to keep things in line here while I am painting.

We have Presanctified Liturgy tonight, as well. I will explain that at a later time, but in the Eastern church, duing the week in Lent, we have a liturgy similar to the one in the West on Good Friday - no consecration, but we receive communion from the consecreation from Divine Liturgy on Sunday. I'll get more into it later. Now, back to work.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Renee! The Knights of Columbus magazine (for Rob) just came in today's mail...the March issue. "Columbia" and it has this icon on the cover!
Cool, eh? I wonder if you can find it at their website? If they even have one, not sure...don't have time to check now...
God bless.

March 08, 2006  
Blogger Valerie said...

Wow, this is really impressive, fascinating, and enlightening. The Eastern church has always been interesting to me, in a mysterious kind of way. I've found myself drawn to icons as I've gotten older, especially now that I have my grandmother's icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help. I can hardly wait to see your finished icon.

March 08, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

Wow! You are doing an amazing job of writing this icon.

Enjoy the Presanctified, it is truly one of my favorite services of the entire year.

March 08, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

Renee, do you sell icons privatley/have a website of your art or are you comissioned for the pieces that you write?

God Bless.

March 11, 2006  
Blogger Renee said...

ukok-
I have only done 7 icons so far. I have given one away, and have kept the rest. I haven't thought of selling any as I am still learning. Maybe some day I will. thanks for asking! BTW, I didn't have any art training, just took an icon painting seminar 5 years ago and just kept at it. Once a year with a seminar, then two on my own. I am in the process of doing two more, so I can put them up as well once I get back to work on them.

March 11, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

Thanks for the response, Renee. I think it might be the sort of thing I'd be very interested in doing myself. It's good to now that you didn't have art training, it inspires me that you can create something so beautiful without it.

God Bless.

March 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home