Saturday, July 29, 2006

So far, so good, plus art appreciation

So far the Final Week of the Thirties is going well.

Thursday I did indeed attend a beautiful Divine Liturgy with my husband and some of my friends. Afterwards we went out to breakfast, where we ran into other friends. Since Thursday isn't a fast day, I had a declicious skillet with lots of meat and cheese and eggs. I chose Thursday, because on Monday begins the fast in preparation for the Dormition of the Theotokos (Assumption of Our Lady), and there is just something about oatmeal that just doesn't feel much like a celebration.

Yesterday I spent time with my husband, going to a book store and then just being with him at his office. This was quite refreshing, just being together.

Today we are going to go see a friend and then go on a hike. We are also going to put away all the clean clothes. Now this doesn't sound like a celebration, but when it is finished, we'll head out to Dairy Joy for some corn dogs and ice cream.

~~~~~

Last week I went to an art fair in a town up the river. This wasn't a craft fair, this was an art fair. It was a pleasant suprise as I didn't know it was going on, but what a blessing! A lovely 78 degree day, lots of white tents with some of the most colorful expressions of the creative spark I have experienced in a long time. One lady in particular brought me to tears with her artwork. She used watercolor, but in such a vibrant palate! Her figures where women, content, happy women with rounded features, large hips, and big hearts. If I had a spare $150, there would be one of her painting in my home. But I'll have to hold her inspiration in my memory and heart for now, and hope she comes back next year. There was something in her work that just went straight to the heart and soul. Her images peeled away the false commercial messages we are bombarded with every waking moment in this culture, and replaced it with real womanhood. Women comforting children, embracing their men, encompassing their homes with their hearts and their love. Also some where of women comforting themselves with a bath or brushing their hair, or just dozing in a chair with an interrupted book proped in the lap. These were real women, women who were not afraid of their bodies, who where not afraid to give of themselves for their families and villages, who were not afraid to rest when needed or restore themselves regularly. As you can see, I was quite inspired. That, in fact was my inspiration for the Final Week of the Thirties celebration. I think I might extend it into the First Week of the Forties. Some of the days are set aside for me, others are set aside for me with the family, but what I have learned most of all is the time must be set aside.

All this from a watercolor painting. Now that is what I call art!



This is an example of her art. Her name in Yucha Pak. I found this at this site ~ www.gasparilla-arts.com. This is a very tiny picture, but the vibrant colors do show up.

7 Comments:

Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

I loved hearing about your day at the art fair and the artist who paints real women. I hope the rest of your birthday celebration is as magical!
KM

July 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's such a great idea to celebrate the last week of your thirties (and the first week of your forties) :)! I'll have to remember that one, it's not that far away!

July 30, 2006  
Blogger Mimi said...

The art fair sounds so lovely! And, so does the beautiful Liturgy with non-fasting breakfast!

July 31, 2006  
Blogger Mrs. House Mouse said...

*Enchanting*

July 31, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can see why you like it!

July 31, 2006  
Blogger Salar37_Shushan said...

Those lady pictures would have moved me too. They sound like the heart of real womanhood

Your ide of fun sounds great to me! My 'dates' with my hubby are often just as free-wheeling (& were the last couple of weeks as a matter of fact). We rummaged in old book shops, 2nd places, and looked at the places we remembered well...then got great food at the same little Korean restaurant we first went to 20 years ago. :)
Fun time with your hubby counts, wherever you go.

Very glad you are thoroughly enjoying your "end of thirties" celebration!

August 01, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

so tiny and so beautiful.....

August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home