Thursday, November 30, 2006

Pauper? So What?


From Catherine Doherty in "Grace in Season" , p. 189, available from Madonna House Publications.

"What does it matter if you are inadequate in your own estimation? What does it matter that you think you are not contributing too much to the Church?

What does it matter if you think you are a sinner? Take it for granted. You are. So am I. So are we all. But don't bother about it. Do not impede God's grace in your soul by dwelling on your poverty. We are all paupers of this kind; we are all sinners.

Dwell instead on the incomprehensible mystery of His choice of you.

You, like Christ, must incarnate yourself in utter simplicity, humility, and seeming weakness, into the stream of the day-to-day life of people who live in the world, in its marketplaces, its pleasure places, its slums, and its palaces, its studying places, its holy places and its sinful places.

There you must begin to witness to the incarnation, to Christ. There you must begin to enact in your own person, or should I say, re-enact, Bethlehem and Nazareth."

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food for thought! *Yummy*

December 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart agrees. Thank you for this passage.

December 01, 2006  
Blogger Gabrielle said...

I receive a little newsletter from Madonna House every month, and this very excerpt was in the latest one I got in the mail. It's very beautiful, isn't it - and the line I kept going back to over and over was, "Do not impede God's grace in your soul by dwelling on your poverty." Catherine seemed to really understand human nature, and she was always able to encourage people.

December 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is awesome!
His blessings this day.

December 02, 2006  
Blogger Renee said...

Catholic housewife, of course you can link me. I linked you but didn't have the courtesy to ask =)

Gabrielle,

I get Restoration, too, and that's where this came from. This was my first issue, and it sunk deep into my heart. I wholeheartedly agree that the quote you chose is the gem of the excerpt. I feel great hope when I read Catherine's words.

Holly, thanks for stopping by

and as always Mama, you are such a blessing!

December 02, 2006  
Blogger Lori said...

Greetings to you MPN!!
I am not lost, am taking a little vacation, sort of started with me wanting to revamp my blog, then escalated into bedlam with multiple computer problems which I think I finally have resolved...I hope. I don't plan on being back round the block until after the Holidays. Things around here are status quo. Just so ya know... I will be around visiting a little more since my computer has decided to be co-operative. Hope all is well with you and that you are not snowbound.

December 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so beautiful. I know I will come back and read it again and again. Thank you.

December 02, 2006  
Blogger Renee said...

Hey, Ayekah, I have been trying to find you! Thank you for stopping by, I was truly saddened that you were "missing".

We were snowed in Friday, and it was terrific!

Suzanne ~ you are so welcome!

December 03, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks 4 sharing tha with us

God bless
Maria in the UK
www.inhishands.co.uk

December 04, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

Renee, I got your email, thank you so much for your supportive comments and for your addy, the card is going to be on the way to you shortly, it will be my pleasure :-)

December 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home