Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving...


I just got home from Divine Liturgy, and then a very nice breakfast out. This wonderful interlude to my week got me thinking how GRATEFUL I am for my church, my Faith, the people in my family, the people in my church. And that got me thinking of gratitude in general, which reminded me that this week is Thanksgiving. Of course I knew this Thursday is Thanksgiving Day, but as I am hosting quite a few people, I have been thinking logistics, not gratitude. But now, I would like to list many of the things I am grateful for, in preparation for this Holiday.

My Existence ~ God created me because He loves me. Then He Redeemed me because He loves me. And He holds me in His hands because He loves me. And all that I am, all that I have, is a gift from Him, because He loves me.

My Family ~ I was blessed to be born into a family ripe with love of God and each other. I was blessed to marry into a family ripe with love of God and each other.

My Husband ~ What can I say, really? The love, the lessons, the laughs.

The Kiddos ~ seven unique people that challenge me, worry me, love me, bless me and transform me.

My Church ~ My home away from home. My recharger. The dispenser of grace, granter of peace and pardon, and opportunities for my salvation to be worked out, in fear and trembling, in joy and love, in sorrow and pain, in community and alone. To find this spiritual home has been one of the best gifts I have ever received.

My Body ~ while at times I have complained about it's refusal to stay 22 years old, mostly I have been so grateful for my body. My body that cradled and nurished my children, and brought them to life, my body that helps me show love to my family and friends, helps me do my daily duty, allows my to create art, write icons, and read. Allows my to enjoy the beautiful world God and created for us, because He loves us. I am currently teaching Human Anatomy in our home school co-op, and am being reminded of the wonderful intricities of our God's handiwork.

My friends ~ this includes all my "real life" friends, as well as all my "cyberpals". I have been truly blessed with the people in my life that encourage me, care for me, pray for me and help me. It is a true blessing to have so many people in my life who share the most important things with me ~ love of the Good, the True, the Beautiful.

Music ~ this in intricately associated with my worship, but aside from that, it lifts my spirits, soothes my soul, gets my body moving. My walking program would have already failed long ago without my iPod. If it wasn't for the music, I know I wouldn't look forward to my walks with such anticipation.

My Home ~ I don't exactly know why I was given this little piece of heaven in which to live. I love every tree, even the blasted weeds. I love the house, even all the blasted legos all over the floor. The heart of my life is here, and I am so glad.

Of course there is more, but these are the essentials. The core of my heart. The things that would diminish me if I lost them.

"Thou hast given so much to me,
Give one thing more ~ a grateful heart."
(George Herbert)

God's choicest blessings to you all this Thanksgiving Day, and always!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Happy, happy Feast Day! What a beautiful list of Blessings!

Thank you for lighting a candle for me, I am touched. Sniff, sniff.

November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet and dear Lady, thank you so much for this amazing post which causes us to reflect and to be ever so grateful for many similar gifts and some that are the same. I am grateful to have met you here even if in cyber world, for we connect in a much deeper way.
Praise be to God! Amen!

November 21, 2006  
Blogger Suzanne Temple said...

This is a wonderful list of things to be thankful for. You are very blessed, and blessed again because you know it! Happy Thanksgiving to you!

November 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right back atcha, sweetie! *Squish*

(LOVE your list! *Warm fuzzies*)

November 22, 2006  
Blogger ukok said...

I love what you wrote about your body, I'm always dissing my lumpy obese body but I should give thanks for it. Gosh, is that hard to do!

Happy Thanksgiving!

November 23, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thaks for such a nice post. It also helped me pause and say thanks! So, I'm thankful for people like you that help us grow!

November 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home