Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Canon of St. Andrew of Crete




I am hobbling around like a very old woman today. This being the fifth week of the Great Fast means the Cannon of St. Andrew of Crete. It is an absolutely beautiful prayer. It lasts close to four hours, and has approximately 220 full prostrations.

I have a post about it from last year.

Here is a sampling of the prayer. With each "Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me", a prostration is done.

Come, wretched soul, with thy flesh to the Creator of all. Make confession to Him, and abstain henceforth from thy past brutishness; and offer to God tears of repentance.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I have rivaled the transgression of Adam, the first-formed man, and I have found myself stripped naked of God, of the eternal Kingdom and its joy, because of my sins.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

Woe to me, miserable soul! How like thou art to the first Eve! For thou hast looked in wickedness and wast grievously wounded; thou hast touched the tree and rashly tasted the deceptive food.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

Instead of the visible Eve, I have the Eve of the mind: the passionate thought in my flesh, showing me what seems sweet; yet whenever I taste it, I find it bitter.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I confess to Thee, O Savior, the sins I have committed, the wounds of my soul and body, which murderous thoughts, like thieves, have inflected inwardly upon me.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

Though I have sinned, O Savior, yet I know that Thou art full of loving-kindness. Thou dost chastise with mercy and art fervent in compassion. Thou dost see me weeping and dost run to meet me, the Father calling back the prodigal son.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I offer to Thee, O merciful Lord, the tears of the harlot. Take pity on me, O Savior, in Thy compassion.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

With the lusts of passion I have darkened the beauty of my soul, and turned my whole mind entirely to dust.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I have torn the first garment that the Creator wove for me in the beginning, and now I lie naked.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I have lost the beauty and glory with which I was first created; and now I lied naked and ashamed.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I have adorned the idol my flesh with a many-colored coat of shameful thoughts, and I am condemned.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I have cared only for the outward adornment, and neglected that which is within—the tabernacle fashioned by God.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

With my lustful desire I have formed within myself the deformity of the passions and disfigured the beauty of my mind.

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

I have discolored with the passions the first beauty of the image, O Savior. But see me, as once Thou hast sought the lost coin, and find me.




This is one of my favorite parts of the Great Fast, and one of the most painful. It reminds me of labor. The first half is difficult, but bearable. You keep thinking, "Oh, I can DO this." Then you realize you are only half way finished, and a slight panic arises. But you keep on. The prostrations become more and more challenging, and you just try to get through one at a time, and find a rhythm to them. Then, just when you think, "There is no way I can keep doing this. I have to quit. I just have to." The prostrations are over, and you sing Psalms and a great peace washes over you. Then, like the after birth, there is one more prayer, the Prayer of St. Ephrem, and you do just 3 puny little prostrations, and then you are really finished! But, there is residual pain for the next 4-5 days, and a joy and rediscovery of yourself that is transforming. I think the Canon of St. Andrew helps you give birth to yourself, as you really are, and purifies the soul in an unspeakably beautiful way.

Easter is on the way!

Here is a post about the Canon from a friend and fellow Byzantine Catholic, Eric at Square Zero.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I've never been able to attend the entire Canon - it's on my "Someday when I'm retired" list.

What a wonderful post, thank you! Can you believe how quickly Pascha is comning?

March 24, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne Temple said...

Such a beautiful prayer. I enjoyed reading it. Thank you.

March 24, 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

What a lovely prayer! Hope your knees feel better! *Grin*

March 25, 2007  
Blogger alicia said...

http://et-tu.blogspot.com/2007/03/writing-icons.html

March 27, 2007  
Blogger ukok said...

oh wow, Renee! I couldn't do it. What do the elderly and those with ill health do?

I want to take the opportunity while I'm here to wish you a much blessed Holy Week and Easter, I won't be around from Saturday as I'm going away for a week or two and wasn't sure I'd get back over here before I get home.

God Bless you and yours

March 29, 2007  
Blogger Micki said...

This is the first I've heard of this. What an inspirational both physically and spiritually.

I go along with the question about what the "elderly" do. I can hardly genuflect 14 times during Catholic "Way of the Cross".

Blessing during the upcoming holy holiday.

March 29, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Thanks for everyone's comments. I forgot to turn them off, sort of like getting cheese on the pasta when you're fasting, and you asked them to leave it off and they don't. A bonus.

As far as the prostrations go, they are not manditory in any way. Many of the congregants did a "metany" or profound bow with a sign of the cross, instead. Some stood through part of the prayer, but sat through the rest. It's the praying that is important. The physical actions just help one use his senses to pray. The prostrations are only meant to lead to humility; they are not the prayer itself. They are a reminder that we are body and soul, not just one or the other.
Again, if some one can not do them, they just don't do them. And the prayer goes on!

March 29, 2007  
Blogger myosotis said...

Hi Mary Poppins Not. I've seen your comments around at some other blogs I visit regularly. We have something in common: my friends call me mary poppins (partly because my real (double)name has an m and a p in it, and partly because they say I always pull neat things out of my bag of life)...
I like your websites, especially the iconography site. I was recently in Greece and saw some awe inspiring works which yours remind me of very much. You are very talented!
I'll sign in with my google account, but I recently left blogger because they've been denounced for hosting pedophile blogs and have done nothing about this.

March 30, 2007  
Blogger caelids said...

Prostration envy!

April 09, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home