Saturday, March 17, 2007

Restoration

(image found here)






Energy. I never seem to have enough.

I love being around people. I had a career that was completely people centered. I am the oldest in my family and have always felt quite responsible for all my brothers' well being. I have a large family. I love to be hostess to guests at crazyacres, and I very much enjoy social gatherings when the people present are near and dear to me. (It is a little more challenging when the crowds are strangers to me.) I love blogging and having such a community to draw from and give to. All this requires energy, emotional, spiritual, physical. Sometimes I can get so depleted and confused regarding my place, my purpose, and my responsibilities. I can get confused between wanting to give love and care, and wanting to get affection and approval. I pray regularly for discernment in this area, and for healing when my confusion leads to hurts, whether my own or others.

I find what helps me the most is taking time to think and pray and reflect on a situation. If I rush through my life, I can inadvertently place myself in a hurtful situation, or worse, inadvertently hurt others. If I do not take care to restore my energy, I will end up missing many opportunities for grace.

Prayer and music restore me. Burning candles restores me. Reading restores me. Going for long walks outside restores me. Basically retreating from the world, and being alone for a while gives me the energy to do what I love, and what I feel called to do.

This shouldn't surprise me, since it is what Jesus showed us to do when He was feeling drained and fatigued. He would go off alone and pray. When he was sad about John the Baptist's death, he went off alone to pray and be restored. When he was facing His death, he went alone to a garden to pray and prepare. He would retreat from the crowd and be restored so He could carry out His mission.

What do you all do to be restored, especially when you are feeling emotionally or spiritually depleted? Comments are open for this one.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

MPN, I go to my room and gaze upon my favorite image of the face of Jesus.

When possible, of course, I go to receive Him, but when it's not I try to get off by myself in my room (no easy task) and have a quiet talk with him...

March 17, 2007  
Blogger DeeDee Kay said...

-Driving in the country on a sunny day is very refreshing...although not something I go out to do specifically to restore my spirit. It's just a happy accident, like last Saturday when I drove to Creston to meet you.

-I like to clean and declutter one room and rearrange it, and then I'll come back to that room for many days and it makes me happy.

-Going to a good friend's house for a nice long uninterrupted chat. I don't know if this counts because I never actually do it, but it would be very restorative if I could!

March 17, 2007  
Blogger Essy said...

Eucharistic Adoration, when I can get away. When I can't get out of the house then I do the next best thing...lock myself in the bathroom and take a nice hot bath while I give that time over to the Lord in prayer (we have some awesome conversations in there...lol). I also love to put on some praise and worship music and just sing praises to Him at the top of my lungs!

March 18, 2007  
Blogger Valerie said...

I usually step outside on the back deck, take many long, deep breaths, and gaze upon the lovely woods that God has been so gracious to provide us. Nature is absolutely the best refresher for me and helps me reconnect spiritually.

March 18, 2007  
Blogger Staying in Balance said...

I like to listen to soothing music and burn incense. I also like to take walks and pray the Rosary. I don't do any of these nearly often enough.

March 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am finding that I need to be quiet and not talk. That's the first step. I've only recently discovered that. Too often I run my mouth trying to figure out "how I feel" and I think I am inadvertently procrastinating the feeling of what I feel by doing so. Then I'm liable to come up with the wrong thing.
Staying quiet helps twofold - it helps me listen - and it helps calm me.
In conjunction with being quiet, moving slowly helps too - with purpose.
Being outside is great too and so often I neglect just stepping outside - there are no woods or anything - but it's open and fresh and cold and makes me realize that life is bigger than what I'm gripping to on the inside.

March 19, 2007  
Blogger Amy said...

Just sitting here taking notes. :)

Seems like all the things I *would* do (like have time alone) are next to impossible right now. Hopefully someday...

March 19, 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

I sing old hymns and let my mind wonder back to my childhood. *Smile*


Just when you thought it was safe to update my blog link... Sorry!

March 20, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home