Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Book Meme




I swiped this from Mary at Owlhaven. Looked like fun!

1. Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? Doesn't matter to me.

2. Amazon or brick and mortar? Brick and mortar, preferably a thrift store

3. Barnes & Noble or Borders? Doesn't matter to me. I prefer the thrift store, like I said.

4. Bookmark or dogear? Book mark. I use little pictures and cards the kids make for me.

5.Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? Big piles everywhere, and many randomly filled book cases. Strangely, I can usually find any book I am looking for.

6. Keep, throw away, orsell? Usually keep or give back to the thrift store. I throw away really lousy books that do not deserve to be read by anyone else.

7. Keep dustjacket or toss it? Keep it.

8. Read with dustjacket or remove it? With the dust jacket. I use the flaps for book marks as well as the cards I mentioned above.

9. Short story or novel? Novels. I do like non-fiction sometimes, but I really like a great, get lost in it story.

10.Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories
by different authors)? Anthology. I just finished a great book called
"Leaning into the Wind" which is a collection of essays from women
ranchers on the high plains.

11. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Neither.

12.Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? When I am tired if I am
reading before bed. When I am needed if I am reading during the day. I
rarely have the luxury of choosing when I stop reading.

13. “It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”? Once upon a time.

14. Buy or Borrow? Buy, buy, buy. At the thrift store, like I said.

15. New or used? Used, from the thrift store. However, I did just buy "Hannah Coulter" by Wendall Berry last week, because I have looked for it at the thrift store for a few years and no luck.

16.Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? Recommendations from trusted sources as well as browsing through the thrift store. Many of the books I own I would only have risked it because they cost under
a dollar.

17. Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Tidy endings if I am reading alone, cliffhangers are fine if I get the chance to discuss it with someone afterwards.

18. Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading? Whenever I can squeeze it in, but most definitely at night.

19. Stand-alone or series? Stand-alone, usually.

20. Favorite series? Kristin Lavransdatter.

21. Favorite children’s book? Miss Rumphius.

22. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Leaning into the Wind

23. Favorite books read last year? The Secret Life of Bees.

24. Favorite books of all time? My Antonia, by Willa Cather

25. Least favorite book you finished last year? The Mermaid Chair, by the same lady who wrote The Secret Life of Bees. I threw it away.

26. What are you reading right now? Hannah Coulter, Why French Women Don't Get Fat, and Bathe Seven Times. Oh, and the Psalms

27. What are you reading next? I am not sure yet. I have plenty of books here to choose from, though.

Labels: