Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Signs of Spring


Okay, from what the calendar says, signs of spring should be showing about now. Despite the fact that there is snow and ice and wind and below freezing temps, I can tell spring is near because sunrise is earlier, and it isn't dark when I pick up my six year old from choir. My walking trail is still icy, but there are enough patches of asphalt showing through that it shouldn't be too treacherous to take a walk. I heard a bird call yesterday that sounded springish. Maybe a robin scouting?

I can tell spring is near because Lent is progressing with the usual mid-Lent assessment of how I should re-purpose my commitments and either shore up or let go of disciplines. I have been reading the Psalms daily, but just today realized it had been 3 days without doing it. And I didn't notice until today. So I will be fixing that. I have finally gotten more recipes to make so we can be more faithful to the fast. I am not going to keep comments closed all the time, but will decrease the posts with them so I check for comments less frequently. I haven't exercised for a week (how did that happen?) so I will be fixing that today.

So, comments are open today. How is your Lent going? What signs of impending Spring to you notice?

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Lent is going well. Oddly enough, it's an early Lent, and an early Spring - we are smack in the middle of Spring weather - sunny, rainy, sunny, rainy, windy, sunny... and flowers are everywhere.

Can you believe the Sunday of the Cross is upcoming already?

March 07, 2007  
Blogger owenswain said...

I notice that the itch to begin cycling to work is taking hold.

March 07, 2007  
Blogger Rosemary said...

I heard a lovely spring-sounding bird this morning too. I also looked out the window to see 3 more inches of snow. :-)

March 07, 2007  
Blogger caelids said...

Discipline's going down the tubes...what kind of person tells herself she's going to give up chocolate for Lent and then drinks, like three hot cocoa's a day?

My crocuses are keeling over...and the storm door is swelling, for some reason.

Do you guys keep the "full fast" (no meat during all of Lent)?

March 07, 2007  
Blogger Lisa said...

Peepers! *Ugh!*

March 08, 2007  
Blogger erin said...

Renee, usually when I wake up in the morning our thermostat reads something like 65 or 66...this morning it was 70! So hopeful.

Also, on a totally unrelated note, I think you ought to write a book on Catholic child-rearing.

Seriously.

March 08, 2007  
Blogger erin said...

you know, in all your free time. ;-)

but i'm still serious.

March 08, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

caelids ~ we do our best to follow the no meat/no dairy during the entire time of Lent. This is only my 3rd year of being an Eastern Rite Catholic (I switched from Latin Rite), so my abilities to come up with that many meals is limited. We modified the fast with our spiritual directors permission to allow us some latitude on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays. I also have seven children under the age of fasting, so sometimes I do make Kid Food and Mom and Dad food. Every year we get better at the fast, and each year we notice the increased spiritual benefit.

Thanks for asking, by the way!

March 08, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Erin,

A book, eh? Do you think I should wait until we see if the chilluns turn out okay first?

March 08, 2007  
Blogger erin said...

Renee, it's kind of like solo auditions; you don't have to sing an entire song to let the judges know whether or not you're any good. ;-) The church needs more practical wisdom for parents.

March 09, 2007  
Blogger caelids said...

Fascinating.

March 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home