Saturday, July 07, 2007

How I am cared for




How does God provide? Let me count the ways.

I am a worrier. I hate worrying, but I do, every day. I worry that I won't be able to provide the things my children need, not materially, but emotionally, spiritually, deep in them. The things they don't ask for and often don't know how to articulate themselves. Yesterday I was contemplating the generosity of God, and realized how completely my children are being cared for.

For instance, my oldest son is followed in birth order by two girls. His closest brother is 5 years younger, and they don't really have a close relationship at this time. He used to be right in there with the girls, playing, talking and just being with them, but as they aged, he naturally was left out more and more. I worried he would be isolated and lonely, as we had nobody around with boys his age. Within a few months I met a family with all boys that had him over frequently, and got him initiated into the computer world. This past couple of years we are friends with another family as well with two boys my son's age. He has spent a lot of time with them, helping build a play fort, and today he is out at a pro-life rally with them. He is so happy to know them, and I fell blessed.

My second daughter is a classic "middle child". She is a little insecure of her place, a little passive, a little emotional. I just didn't know what to do to help her be HER. She had a great love for horses ever since she was 3 years old, but we just couldn't manage lessons for her. Still her love persevered, even though she had never even seen a real horse. This year, due to a providential friendship (in many, many ways), we were connected to a lady who is giving my daughter horse back riding lessons and letting my daughter earn some of the tuition by cleaning stalls. It is affordable for us and has really changed my daughter. Her confidence is way up, her joy is apparent, and I am so blessed.

Another of my middle children, my second son, is wedged between 2 girls, and although he is great friends with his next youngest sister, he is a bit of a loner. He is struggling with reading, but is so adept at mechanical things, as well as a hard worker around the yard. He is active, busy and loves to build things. My husband isn't so much that way, and my little guy has spent a lot of time wishing for more to do. Recently a family at church has been coming to get my son almost weekly for hikes, swims, and bike rides because they have a boy a little younger who needs someone to play with. My boy is so pleased, and I am blessed!

I could go on. I have lots of worries, and I try to put them to rest, but the surest way for me to relax is to just pay attention to the tender care we are all getting, and let God take over. He is really good at this, you know?

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Very good reflection, and something I needed to read today. Thank you.

July 07, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really appreciated reading this today. I am worrying about my children, for different reasons, but I know that with God in charge, I can take a break from the worrying. Thanks for helping me to remember who is really in charge!

July 08, 2007  
Blogger Suzanne said...

I love this! I have caught myself finally realizing that when we pray as mothers, from a heart so true, God does seem to put things together for us...like people in our children's life that ARE GOOD for them! Yes!
Just when we need them too!!!
We often worry about who they will encounter that may be a problem and forget to notice that He has been doing something all along to support them. I remember once telling my children..."Don't worry if you don't have everything so and so has (materially), for it seems that when you are over playing at their home, you get to play with that very thing and when they are in our home, they get to do something or eat something that they don't get to do in their home,
as much...its like that in other ways too...God provides the others in the Body of Christ and good people to help when we need it and I think especially so if we have been willing to be helpful in the world for the good...I imagine that you have been a good soul out there, you know, like teaching young people about writing icons, hint...hint! ;)

July 08, 2007  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

Thank you MPN.

July 08, 2007  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

I think I'm queen of the worry warts! I really needed this message today. Thanks for sharing! :o)

July 10, 2007  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I just saw a Dr. Ray thingy on birth order. He is so funny! He basically says it's not so much birth order that matters (especially in big families, the birth order is always changing!) but their temperament and how we handle them. Maybe you could find it, he's great!

July 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home