Thursday, July 05, 2007

Time marching onward...

So today is my eldest son's 14th birthday. And I celebrated by taking my 3 year old princess shoe shopping. Doesn't make any sense to me, either, but it was so fun. We went to Target and straight to the little girl summer shoes that were on sale. I just sat on the floor and watched her go from shoe to shoe, as she looked and caressed each one, and said, "O, mama, I love this one. It's my best shoe ever." Until she saw the next glittery pair, then THAT was the best. The cream of the crop was when she found these wedge flip flops (why they are made in this size I haven't the foggiest idea). She slipped them on, and was speechless with delight. She couldn't even walk in them, they were so high. But she wobbled the best she could, put her hands on her hip, and stated, "I WANT these ones. I love these!"

Of course, I didn't get those for her, but I did get her a lower wedge, metallic flip flop, with pink iridescent decorations on them. They were on clearance you know! And I have so gotten soft as the years go by. My eldest daughter was with me today, and just as delighted at watching her little sister as I was. But she was quick to point out that never, when she was 3, did she get to go shoe shopping, let alone get stylish little wedges when she already had a sensible pair of sandals.

I'll never forget how cute and funny she was then. Pleased, pretty and precious.

I had also found a little sun dress on clearance. I asked her what she thought of it. Completely straight faced, she says, "It's perfect."

We didn't end up buying the perfect dress, but I tell you, she is a born shopper.

Now, on to my eldest.

He is a terrific kid. I was a little worried when he was 12, but now I thouroughly enjoy him, and his company, and am amazed at the man he is turning into. This is the year his voice constantly caught me off guard, he surpassed my height, he takes initiative to complete a job around the house and handles things as they come up with out me telling him to. He can make dinner for all his sibling, clean the bathrooms, is the best kitchen cleaner in the house, does his own laundry ~ his future wife can thank me later.

He has simple tastes, simple needs and is kind and funny. How that little bundle of baby grew into this young man I can not fathom. I just marvel at the passage of time, but delight in what it is bringing me.

Happy birthday, my first born. I love you.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He sounds like a joy as a son! As do your daughters as daughters!

Congratulations to all.

July 06, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Thank you Alexa! He is a joy, and I appreciate your good wishes!

July 06, 2007  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Happy Birthday to your son! It sounds like you have raised him well.

July 06, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Barb, so far, so good, I say. Thank you for your kind wishes~

July 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to your beloved son!

July 06, 2007  
Blogger Henny Penny said...

Happy 14th! WooHoo!

Princess shoe shopping sounds fun!

July 06, 2007  
Blogger Renee said...

Deb and Lisa,

Thank you for your kind wishes. I appreciate them greatly!

July 06, 2007  
Blogger Mimi said...

Happy Birthday to your oldest! Many Years!

July 07, 2007  
Blogger madhu said...

Happy Birthday to your son.

Taking kids for shopping is really a fun and even I enjoy it.

Even my daughter is like your daughter. she want everything. She is crazy about shoes. Now she got a huge collection and Still she never stopped purchasing. she just purchased
shoe
from shoedeals4u.com.

August 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home