Friday, February 01, 2008

My Lenten Resolve


Another snowy, cold day. It is beautiful here, I'll add a picture later, as it is on the other computer, which is turned off to keep the children on track with the house cleaning today. Notice, I am on the computer, and the children are cleaning. Trained 'em right, darn it.

But, this is also indicative of a trend, that I am on the computer, while the kiddos are doing life, and it has gotten away from me once again. Thankfully, The Great Fast is starting Sunday. For us Easterners, last Sunday was Meat-fare Sunday, meaning after that day, no more meat. This Sunday is Cheese-fare Sunday, meaning after this day, no more cheese. Then Forgiveness Vespers, so the slate is clean, and we are off to the purification and reality of Lent.

One of my Lenten disciplines will be only blogging on Sundays during Lent. Blogging is a hiding spot for me, and I need to not hide from my life just now. I will keep St. Paraskeva's site updated. Which by the way, my class was canceled last night due to the snowy weather, so there are no updates this week. If I do a post in between, I'll put the heads up over here. Now, I may have Lenten reflections and what not from time to time, other than Sunday, but I will turn off the comments to keep me from obsessively checking for feedback. I am a comment junkie, totally.

So to recap, posts on Sunday (comments on), any random posts or updates during the week will be minimal, with comments off. My other disciplines will be to follow Jennifer at Et-tu's example to do Liturgy of the Hours (for her plan, which I will follow read here), and on my spiritual directors suggestion, to slowly and carefully read through the Gospel of Mark. I am also giving up wine, beer, and even the beloved Maker's Mark for Lent. And that should do it. We will be following the Fast best as we can, with particular care given to Wednesdays and Fridays, with simplicity the rule the rest of the week. I will check e-mail daily, but only in the evening, after we say our Evening Prayer.

And what about you? What plans do you have for Lent this year? I am praying for healing for my wounded, disorganized and frightened little soul. Healing, which will begin tonight with Great Vespers and an anointing for the feast of the Encounter with Simeon (presentation of Our Lord in the Temple). What spiritual imperatives will you be using during Lent? What action do you desire the Divine Healer to have on your self this Lent? (Indulge me, this is one of my last chances to obsessively check for comments. Think of it as Mardi Gras for me).

This photo is from a recent Sunday, at church, with my littlest sitting in the windowsill during Liturgy. Winter Wonderland photo to follow later

9 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

What a beautiful photo! I can't believe you are doing Lent so early, it seems light years away to me still.

The resolve sounds good, I will look to your posts, and to shouting "Christ is Risen" with you!

February 01, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I come here by bloglines quite often, Renee - but seldom comment - I don't know why, but I'm just not good at leaving them. Since you are a comment junkie (as am I) I thought I'd wish you a great Lent. You are inspiring in me a post as well as getting my act together and thinking about Lent more seriously - feels like it shouldn't be this close to Lent yet! But alas, it is.

Gotta get my act together.

God bless,
Alexa

February 01, 2008  
Blogger liturgy said...

Thanks for the post
I wonder if my work at
http://www.liturgy.co.nz/ofthehours/resources.html
is useful to you & your readers
& if you might link as "Liturgy of the Hours"
Mimi's surprise at early Lent is explained here:
http://www.liturgy.co.nz/worship/matters_files/dateofEaster20080201.html

Blessings

Bosco

February 01, 2008  
Blogger Laura said...

Interestingly, I posted this evening about Lent as well, even though it is not for a few days. My post, however, is meant to be funny- I think it's odd at my age that I have to give up candy because I eat so much of it, but I HAVE to...it's a ridiculous habit.

Fine tuning my spiritual well being is tops on list too- especially extra visits to the chapel for Adoration.

thoughtful post.
thank you.

February 01, 2008  
Blogger Michelle said...

I'm going to restrict my computer time and turn off comments as well. I plan to spend the time in prayer or spiritual reading or in attending to procrastinated jobs.

I'll keep healing for you as a special intention this Lent.

February 02, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the photo! :o)

February 02, 2008  
Blogger Anna B. said...

Great Photo...For me Procrastination, Im so way behind on many things and I know this is where it all begins. Just take one day at a time and stay focused.

February 02, 2008  
Blogger Tonda said...

I just wanted to let you know I am so glad I happened upon your blog a few days ago. Though I consider myself a prayer warrior, I am still very much uneducated in the Catholic Teachings and Traditions. When ever I happen on a blogger who shares information as you do. Like on the Lenten topic you are sharing, I become a faithful reader. I enjoy blogs that give me useful information and areas in which I need to study more about. As well as pleasant reads. Have a wonderful Sunday and God Bless.

February 03, 2008  
Blogger the mother of this lot said...

Well, I came here from Lisa's blog purely because you said you loved the winter - and I'm so glad I did - what a fantastic blog! Just sorry that I've found you as you're going on a Lenten sabbatical! I have been thinking for a couple of weeks about following Et-tu's example during Lent as well, but I think I may just do the morning and evening prayers. Not decided what to give up yet - may well restrict blogging time - that would be a real penance!

February 03, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home