Saturday, May 03, 2008

And on that note...


Wow, thank you all for the suggestions. I had been having trouble setting time aside to actually watch any movies the past few days, there always seems to be tons of other things I *must* do around here. BUT...

yesterday I sprained my right thumb and can not use that hand very much today. This sounds like a God-given opportunity to watch some movies.

As far as the crying thing, the latest occasion to cause a few tears to make a break for it was during my eight-year-old's choir performance. The kidlets have a big concert on Sunday, but this past week they do community performances. I took my daughter to a retirement home/nursing home and brought along 2 other of my daughters. This is the youngest choir of the 5 in the organization, and the cutest. Their little voices are so sweet and light, and hopeful. The little ones sang an old show tune, "Won't You Sing a Simple Melody", and an old Spiritual "I Have a New Name in Glory".

The tears really started to pool up when I watched the dichotomy between the elderly in the audience lighting up when they heard these songs, and the little people with sweet voices so earnestly singing. Many of the audience were singing along, obviously being brought back to a different time. There was such a large gap between the audience and the singers in age and experience, grief and joy, and yet music, singing, was the bridge that pulled all the people in that room together. *Sigh*

The funniest part about the way this performance affected me was that this was the 14th time I had been to this nursing home with one of my children singing for the residents. There was something about this performance, the choice of songs, the reaction of the residents, or maybe just the fragile condition of my emotions that day. Either way, I think it was a grace that I was allowed to feel the effect of many human hearts coming together, with music as the glue.

3 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Ouch. Sorry about the thumb.

I'm glad you got some good sniffles in, the performance sounds lovely!

May 03, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a hug from an old friend. *HUG*

May 04, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope your thumb is soon on the mend and that it won't adversely affect your ability to write icons or to lead your classes!

Thanks too for all your support and prayers for me and mine

(((hugs)))

May 05, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home