Monday, June 09, 2008

Wimpy McWimpus continues to complain...

I thank God for ibuprofen. And by the time I get the blasted root canal, I'll be thanking God for that, too, because my mouth hurts! Will it ever feel normal again? That is the cry of my weak, lily livered self. And people have so much worse to deal with, and yet, this is more than enough for me right now. Except that our basement flooded AGAIN, even after spend so much time and $$ on solutions. It rained so hard and so fast last night, it overwhelmed the drain.

I used to attend Divine Liturgy so much more regularly (edited to add DURING THE WEEK), and that helped tremendously when the lousy parts of life took center stage. Attending Liturgy is like a hook, pulling the lousy parts of life off the stage, at least for the blessed time I am outside of time and eternity while in the presence of the Lord.

But now, my schedule is so much more demanding. My freedom to come and go has been compromised by many factors, such as need of the kids, duties of the home, proximity of my husband, and sheer volume of Things To be Done Here. Not good.

Also, the daily schedule at church has changed for a while this summer, and Liturgy is only available one extra day a week. Makes me sad I wasted so many other opportunities to attend!

But, I'll make a resolution to attend the one available, and set some time aside at home for more regular prayers. My prayer rule has really suffered lately, why? I have no idea. Scattered thoughts require a prayer rule, and scattered thought fight against establishing a prayer rule. So, I must go back to my last visit with a spiritual director, and do the small rule he gave me, so as not to overwhelm, attend the one extra Liturgy this week, and try to get this blasted tooth off of the center stage.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rosemary said...

I know what you mean about getting to church (Mass, for us) during the week. The bread of life....we just can't get enough, can we.

June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Renee,
I have been reading of your dental travails with a mixture of sympathy and guilt. Sympathy because, as someone who has endured numerous forms of severe pain, there is nothing that quite dominates the consciousness like a toothache.
You're not being wimpy. It is objectively horrid.
Guilt because I have ignored a low-level toothache for months. I totally abhor dentists, and don't go until I am suffering terribly.

But I also want to give you a heads-up on root canals. I had one 15 years ago, after breaking down and going to a dentist when it became unbearable.

And here is the heads-up. It didn't take; it was always sensitive, and after some time the tooth just fell apart.
And shortly after, I started having high blood pressure, and as you know around 13 years later had a stroke. And then heart surgery.

While I am fine now, and walk 10-14 miles a day carrying mail, I was extremely blessed in the outcome. The odds were totally against me, but then I had countless people praying for me: monks, old Baptist ladies, long lost friends, everything form Pentecostals to liberal Presbyterians, etc.

I have since discovered lots of documentation that root canals can be devastating to the cardiovascular system; something about releasing anoxegenic bacteria into the bloodstream, or something (my bride, who should have been a doctor) knows more about this than I.

Not trying to be scary, but please, investigate it. I wish I had simple had the thing pulled.

June 09, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I choose pull 'em over root canal too. Ouch!

Sorry you are in so much pain. :o(

June 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am due for a root canal and am seriously thinking about having the tooth pulled and then getting an implant. A dental implant... not the other kind. Well, maybe the other kind. We'll see how it goes! Kidding, of course.

I've really enjoyed reading your posts.

Best wishes!
Lacy

June 12, 2008  
Blogger Liz Harrell said...

Stumbled onto your blog this morning, so sorry about your tooth!

June 13, 2008  
Blogger qualcosa di bello said...

i feel for you with that tooth! & to add the need for prayer when your prayer life seems overwhelmed...oh my. when i am spiritually off center, all else seems to be so too. i'll be praying for you. how i wish i could attend Divine Liturgy...there are absolutely no opportunities within driving distance. & so i pray it at home & think of others who must do so, so very glad that we join together in this!

& sorry that i missed the Eastern Christian Blog awards...you would have had my vote for sure!

June 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home