Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Gulp

My oldest boy will be going to school this year. Not just any school, but a boarding high school in a different state. As we approach this last week before he leaves, there is the inevitable rush of packing, preparing, finishing last school year (eeps) and trying real hard not to think too much about the fact that he is leaving.

How does one go about letting the first of one's children go? Whew. This is hard. But I have so many other things to do, physicals, dental appointments, preparing for the other 6 students that are still home schooling, getting to the doctor for the pregnancy, and so on. The only thing that is keeping me sane right now is the mantra "One Thing At A Time".

First, the shopping
then the school work,
then the physicals
then make an appointment for me
then get my schedule in order for the school day
then go to the "good bye" gatherings with the various friends and family
then pack up
then say good bye




then start school here
then go the OB
then see what life presents after that.

sigh. Sometimes I wonder how I will do it. Then I realize I must.

7 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Wow! What an opportunity for him! He will have my prayers.

As will you, mom, as I know there will be a hole in your heart.

August 20, 2008  
Blogger owenswain said...

In just two short years our youngest will head out the door to university to join the other two. Life is full of passages. They grow and we grow and on and on our short little wonderful life passes. Peace be with you and joy be with your big boy beginning his own adventure.

August 20, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would a hug help? HUG

August 21, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Letting go of our first born...i honestly don't know how we do it. I haven't had to yet, but i know the time will come when i have to. And if we don't let go, how can they ever come back to us of their own free will?

I am praying for you my friend, and for your family!

August 21, 2008  
Blogger Suzanne said...

UKOK has a made a good point, although it is hard. You pray and you weep and you pray and keep in contact and enjoy all the children there present as best you can when you miss him, but you know what ... what would you do if you didn't have all that to think about. Sigh. I know it is not as simple as that...my prayers and spiritual hugs are with you as best as they can be. Where is he going? Far from home? Suz

August 21, 2008  
Blogger Laura said...

I can't come up with a wise saying or inspirational comment so I will simply say.. "Peace be with you."

August 22, 2008  
Blogger rita said...

I am late to the party and want to wish you a blessed pregnancy and congratulations.
I have had that thought cross my mind, "Sometimes I wonder how I will do it. Then I realize I must."
Prayers are coming your way!

August 25, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home