Tuesday, October 14, 2008

We're Baaaack!

We are all home, safe and sound. What a fabulous trip! I can't wait to post some of the gorgeous photos. The fall color on the East Coast is beyond description, unlike anything I have ever seen.

I was thrilled to see my boy, who really isn't a boy at all, but nearly a man. I have never gone six weeks without seeing one of my children, and it was a shock to see him so different than when he left. The high point of the trip was walking into the refrectory for lunch, and surprising him. The delight on his face was so pure and unfiltered, I don't think I have seen that on his face since he was much younger. The most difficult part of the trip was saying good bye to him again, especially looking back at the school as we drove down the long, winding driveway, and seeing his silhouette waving from the doorway. He was all by himself out there, as the rest of the students were in study hall, and it just felt wrong driving away and leaving him there.

Anyway, the weekend we had together as a family was refreshing and fun, and beautiful and exciting. We went to NYC, a place I had never previously been, and frankly once is enough! But it was fun to see so many famous places and sights, and yet, made me even more grateful for our three crazy acres in the woods.

The long hours in the van gave my husband and I lots of time together, which we haven't had in years, it seems. Amazing what a little time together can do to refresh a relationship. The mood in the van was far superior on the way home than it was on the way out, due mostly to the fact that we had reconnected; vital for a good, strong marriage.

I am very grateful for this vacation, and for the opportunity for us all to be together. I realize that this is the beginning of the phase of life where "being all together" is a treat rather than the status quo. I wonder if it ever feels less strange as a mom to not have all her babies together in the same house? Will I get used to it by the time some of the younger ones are leaving home?

Photos to follow in the next few day.

Blessings!

7 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

It sounds wonderful, yay!

October 14, 2008  
Blogger Simple Faith and Life said...

I did grow used to not having all of my "babies" at home (not sure how they'd feel about me calling them that now ;))...but the ones who are out of college seem to keep in touch more often than when they were in college living at home. So, not to worry. You will undoubtedly always be close.

October 14, 2008  
Blogger Hope said...

I've yet to get used to it. This Christmas my daughter isn't coming home - the first time in 24 years she won't be home at Christmas. My married son won't be here either. I hate it. I really do. But I need to accept it. I really do.

October 14, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like an awesome trip. So glad to hear it was refreshing for you. Can't wait to see pictures! I have gotten used to my babies being out of the house, but I still enjoy a close relationship with them, and we do lots of fun things together. I'm blessed that they live close enough that we can do that. I think every passing phase of life has it's ups and downs, so strive to enjoy them all!

October 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good trip. Can't wait to pics!

October 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you had such a wonderful trip, i look forward to seing the photos!

October 15, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

*Hugs-a-bunch*

October 18, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home