Friday, January 02, 2009

7 Quick takes Friday

Check out the other 7 Quick Takes Friday entries over at Jen's place.
--1--
I was supposed to have my 3 hour glucose test today, but I canceled it. I had had wayyyy too busy of a week, too erratic of an eating schedule and not nearly enough sleep to end up fasting for 12 hours and then overloading myself with sugar for 3 hours. I seriously don't understand what this test really does, as I would never, never go 12 hours without eating, and then guzzle nothing but sugar. How does this tell "them" what my body is doing with my regular, protein rich, low sugar diet? Sheesh, I hate all this testing. Hate it.

--2--

I am seriously tired today. And absolutely CRAVING a return to our school routine. We have a week until my son leaves to go back to school, but even though we won't be beginning school next week, we are going back to the waking/sleeping/eating schedule we are on during school time.

--3--

As I said, my son is leaving in a week, and this time we say goodbye for 12 weeks. Since I will be having a baby in that time, I won't be able to go see him in the middle like I did last time we had a twelve week gap. I just can not think about it yet without tears springing to my eyes. This is just so difficult.

--4--

I received a digital cooking thermometer for Christmas and used it on a turkey yesterday. I had heard most people overcook their turkey if you go by time, not temperature. I have to say that must be true, because the turkey reached 180 degrees 50 minutes before the time was up, and it was one of the juiciest turkeys I have ever had.

--5--

I have been reading up on natural ways to increase iron and decrease blood sugar, and found that black strap molasses and apple cider vinegar are good for both. So I mix the two and drink it down, and we'll see how it works. I just use two tablespoons of each at a time, so it is like an old fashioned tonic. Any other suggestions, anyone?

--6--

Name survey: Lillie, Lily, or Lydia.

--7--


My side of the family, Christmas 2008. I am third (fourth if you count the baby) from the left, second row down. The pregnant one with the black shirt and glasses. Seven of the children are mine, the others are my various brother's children. Quite the bunch, isn't it?? (You can click on the photo for a larger view)

14 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

Lily.

January 02, 2009  
Blogger Laura said...

I'm craving routine again too....
And I love a big family picture. Melts my heart.

January 02, 2009  
Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

I choose Lydia...that was my great-grandmother's name and my confirmation name! :) You look beautiful, btw! Prayers and blessings in these last weeks of pregnancy!

January 02, 2009  
Blogger Kate said...

I like Lydia...even though this is what comes to my mind at that name:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlkFmtr9fyE&feature=related

January 02, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

Great photo. Happy New Year.

I enjoyed Brazil nuts when I had low iron with my youngest.

And, Lydia, but Lily is lovely too. The other spelling I'm not as keen on.

January 02, 2009  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Love the photo.
Happy New Year :-)

I would go for Lydia, after St Lydia, the seller of purple cloth in the NT. Sts Paul, Silas, Timothy and Luke preached to her.

January 03, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lily. I'm partial to "flowery" names myself. ;o)

Gorgeous family.

Happy New Year!

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

I prefer Lily, but I don't know if that's just b/c I think of Lydia Bennett Wickham when I hear the name "Lydia."

I love my digital thermometer, too!

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Ginger said...

I vote Lydia, MPN. My friend has a theory that the number of syllables in your first name should not be the same number of syllables in your last name. It has more of a musical rhythm if they aren't the same. :)

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Ginger said...

P.S. Then again, if you have a 1- or 3-syllable last name, I vote for Lily....

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

YELLOW DOCK, the herb, will get your blood up in no time.

I didn't get a chance to send you (or anyone) Christmas cards, but MPN, you are "on my list."

Gorgeous family picture! Gorgeous! Hey, there's my grain grinding buddy, Anne Marie! You are on the "list" too. Now this is what we call the Culture of Life! Amen!

Gotta think on the baby name vote...

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Kitchen Madonna said...

Okay, Lily. Like the one the Archangel carried!!!

January 03, 2009  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Lily (or variations of it) is getting pretty trendy. I vote for Lydia. Check out info and icons here
http://catholicfire.blogspot.com/2006/08/saint-of-day-st-lydia.html

January 03, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, Lily, definitely! Like a lily of the field or like St. Joseph. I love St. Joseph and lilies always make me think of him. Lydia makes me think of the tattooed lady! :)

January 04, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home