Friday, December 12, 2008

7 Quick takes Friday

I really can not believe it is Friday again already.
Check out Jen at Conversion Diary for other participants.

--1--

I have a prayer request. My oldest son, the one away at school, broke his arm yesterday, and is having it reset today. The doctors haven't determined yet if an external reduction will work, and if it doesn't, he'll need surgery for an Open Reduction, Internal Fixation (ORIF), which in layman terms is surgery and rods. Sigh. Please pray that the external reduction works, and that he heals quickly.

--2--

Today is cookie day. We are going to make 4 different varieties, and attend a Cookie Exchange at church tomorrow. All the kids want to help, so this will be one of those projects that have the potential for extreme cuteness and warm, fuzzy memories, or extreme, tongue biting frustration. I think I will make one variety with sets of 2 children each, so as not to get too overwhelmed. One must acknowledge and act accordingly to one's limits, right?

--3--

Watching the kids all play together outside this week, making a snow fort, has been heartwarming. All 6 of the kids at home have been out there, making snow bricks with a Lego box, and assembling an igloo. One day I decided that was sufficiently educational to call it school. Or call it a snow day. Or whatever, I thought it was important and enriching, and thus, one of the many joys of home educating, these opportunities for sibling unity can be seized.

--4--

I have been cooking a venison roast in the crock pot for 20 hours. It is falling apart, and smells delish. I marinated it in apple cider, garlic and soy sauce for a few days first. We will eat it on rolls tomorrow, and hope everyone loves it. I am new at cooking venison, but a friend from church keeps bringing us free meat, and I can't just ignore it because I don't know what to do with it. So I am learning. I think. We'll see tomorrow.

--5--

About the concert last Saturday. My older girls sang at a concert that included a phenomenal community orchestra, a church choir, and combinations of all three. The theme was Baroque, and to witness Bach played with such joy and vibrancy made me realize again that LISTENING to beautiful music really is only half the joy. Watching the dance that goes on between the musicians and the music is energetic and thrilling. Watching my girls participate in such a beautiful event, with joy and skill and confidence, made this mother's heart swell with happiness!

--6--

I want to send out Christmas cards this year. I really, really do. I am getting more and more doubtful that I will, though, as this month flies by and I just don't see it happening again. Oh well...

--7--

Just heard back from my son's school. Looks like he will indeed need surgery, and the doctor there recommended that he come home today or tomorrow to have it taken care of here. Now we scramble to get him home, find an ortho, insurance details, and add an impromptu surgery into our already full week. Prayers, please. This is the first time anything like this has occurred in our family so we are treading on new territory here.

That's all for now.....

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

Going to light a candle for you all right now.

December 12, 2008  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Praying for you all, especially your dear son....
Lord have mercy and grant quick and full healing!

December 12, 2008  
Blogger Mimi said...

Prayers for your son, and for you, Mom! Hugs.

December 12, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your son! I will be praying for him and offer him as my intention at daily Mass today. How did he break it?

Barb

December 15, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home