Friday, February 13, 2009

7 Quick Takes Friday


It is Friday, once again. Let's see what I can come up with ~

--1--

About the woman with 14 children. Because I am expecting my eighth child, lots of people ask my opinion about this, as if I have much in common with her. My explanation goes something like this:

~I respect her for valuing the lives of all her children.
~I think her case points out some of the flaws in IVF.
~I think people should stop getting so concerned about how much all this is going to cost. These are PEOPLE, and infinitely more valuable than money. Of all the problems with this case, money is the least of my concerns.
~I think the ability to turn people into commodities became so much easier because of such happenings, and the lack of respect for the individual people involved is one of the most concerning parts about this situation.
~There is no easy solution to this problem, and like so many times when technology has moved beyond the acceptable ethics of our time, we have a mess all the way around.
~I place most the blame on the doctor who performed these procedures on her. Just another way to exploit vulnerable, distressed women by a money making industry (similar to the abortion industry in my mind).

--2--

I have encountered similar attitudes regarding my large family, all of whom have been conceived the old fashioned way, and in a two parent, wage earning family. Some people just plain old don't like children. I VERY OFTEN have to justify my children's existance by being asked to explain how we are going to send them all to college, or questioned about how many resources we use (frankly, fewer than most families of "average size"). My ability to raise them is often raised to me by strangers, and my sanity and state of mind have been openly questioned too many times to count.

--3--

My eldest daughter is feeling much better, and should get her stitches out tomorrow. Thank you for all your prayers.

--4--

I lost .5 pounds in the last two weeks. My midwife thought that was a problem. I didn't. Last appointment, I gained 4 pounds in two weeks. My midwife thought that was a problem. I didn't. See a pattern here?

--5--

I bought my son knock-off Air Hogs for Christmas (remote control helicopters). They broke in 20 minutes. I bought him some replacement, real, honest to goodness Air Hogs, and they also broke in 20 minutes. I am angry, to say the least!

--6--

We finally came up with a name for our little, soon to be born girl. And is isn't any of the ones we had floated before. I'll let you all know after she is born. I love it. Also, I am on an Ella Fitzgerald kick. I always have music going during my labors, and I think this time it will be Ella, Diana Krall, and Melody Gardot.

--7--

As I expected, the robins have arrived. I can not believe what a difference it makes to me in the morning, when I wake up to the sound of birds. What a hopeful, beautiful sound!!

As usual, go check out Jen for more Quick Take 7 Friday.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Prayers continuing for your daughter and excellent points about the octuplets!

Can't wait to hear the new baby name...

Jane

February 13, 2009  
Blogger the mother of this lot said...

In my experience, women who have had several pregnancies ALWAYS have more on their mind than slight weight gain/loss during the current one!

February 14, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

You make excellent points. :o)

The doctor bothers me.

I would have loved to have had more babies. It wasn't God's plan.

I can't hardly wait until we find out what wee one's name is going to be!

February 14, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No fair! I can't wait that long to know what my new niece is going to be called! Maybe I'll call you and brow beat it out of you. ;)

February 14, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

So true!

And, whohoooo on chosing a name!

February 14, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home