Monday, February 16, 2009

Meatfare Sunday

SO yesterday was Meatfare Sunday. This means, we Eastern Christians are preparing for Lent by making yesterday our last day of consuming meat. Next Sunday is Cheesefare Sunday, making that the last day of eating dairy. Then it is vegan til Easter. For me, being 9 months pregnant (check out my ticker on the side bar), and then after that nursing, I am not bound by this Lenten fast. Nor are our smaller children. I will probably prepare meat and dairy for those of us whose dietary needs require it for lunch and breakfast, then stick to a vegan dinner.

Anyway, my point was in relaying what our family did for Meatfare Sunday. Usually I make some feast of many different kinds of meat. I wasn't up to it this year. Really wasn't up to it. So we went to Portillo's. I got a Maxwell Street Sausage, my hubby got a Maxwell Street/Italian beef combo (all on one bun. WOW!). The kids all got cheese dogs, and we all shared a chopped salad (with chicken) and a side of ribs. Whew. Meat city. Portillo's has a very fun decor (the one we went to was '30's Prohibition), and a revolving door, and between the two, our younger kids were very entertained. It was quite a bit of fun, very filling, and a nice way to say goodbye to meat for a while. I am still full, by the way. Yum!

7 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

You are due on my dh's birthday! :0)

Prayers continue as you enter the end of your pregnancy!

February 16, 2009  
Blogger Jane (a.k.a. patjrsmom) said...

Mmmm...Portillos! My favorite is the grilled vegetable sandwich!

February 16, 2009  
Blogger Renee said...

The Grilled Vegetable Sandwich would be PERFECT during Lent!

February 16, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

Ooooh, the grilled vegetable sandwich does sound good!

Happy Cheesefare week. I forgot that we'd be a week off.

February 16, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

Wondering if I could do without meat... Nope. Just reading this post made me drool a little. ;o)

Watching the ticker!

February 17, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can go vegan for lent. The American Dietetics association states a well planned vegan or vegetarian diet is appropriate for all stages of the human lifecycle from gestation to old age in their 2003 position paper on vegetarian diets. Also a study of vegan pregnant women at "the Farm" in Tennessee found that the women on the vegan diet had nearly a zero pre-eclampsia risk. And vegan women who consume higher levels of beans and whole grains and lower levels of strong tasting vegetables (like broccoli) have little to no morning sickness. It would be healthier for you and your child.

February 25, 2009  
Blogger Renee said...

Hi Veggie Susie,

Thanks for the information. I have gone vegan for most every other Lent, and did feel healthy. But I was told my iron is too low, and I must have meat. I need as much iron dense foods as I can get. Which ones would those be in a vegan diet?

February 25, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home