Thursday, April 16, 2009

Small successes


Well, just posting this is a small success!

I have managed to go to the lactation consultant twice now, and have become competent at using the breast pump. I have never used one before. Baby takes the bottles well, and I have never had a baby do that before, either (at her age, any way). The current plan is to breastfeed Melanie, then have someone feed her a previously pumped bottle while I pump another one for the next feeding. She is taking an hour to breastfeed, and according to the lactation consultant's scale, getting the same amount as 5 minutes with the bottle. Her latch is poor and her suck week. Hopefully she'll get bigger and stronger and that will improve. But for me, it is a huge success to admit I needed advice, take the advice, and follow through. Usually I am an "I can do this myself" type.

**Edited to add ~ I just got TWICE the volume in my last pumping session YES!!**

I brought up my vaccination concerns with the new pediatrician we have. I was never able to be that straight forward before, usually just "avoided" and now, feel like an actual adult.

Found and purchased new walking shoes. Now I am waiting for actual time away from lactating to go for a walk, but it is a step in the right direction!

Check out more small success at Faith and Family Live!

5 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Whohoooooooooo! I'm glad to read of successes! Thanks be to God.

April 16, 2009  
Blogger ViolinMama said...

This is GREAT, and she's GORGEOUS by the way (I also read the below post)!!!! I pumped for 10 months with my 1st, and at the start of my 2nd baby (currently 9 months) and do occasionally now as needed, and it does make me glad I do, and is worth it- no matter how tired I get, and sometimes upset. Maybe she'll always be a peanut too? My 2nd is only 15 pounds at 9 months, but is VERY healthy and fine. They come i all sizes :)

I'm REALLY proud of you, and you are doing a good job. Many hugs, high fives, and prayers to you!

April 16, 2009  
Blogger Elise said...

Aunt, you might want to update your "More About Me" section. Melanie still isn't born over there.
Congrats though! I'm loving you all over there!

April 17, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

Maybe you can figure out a way to pump your breasts and legs at the same time? :o)

Yes, I know I'm of no help whatsoever, but I think you like me anyway.

April 18, 2009  
Blogger Renee said...

Yes, Mother, I most certainly do like you. THAT was funny.

April 18, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home