Saturday, October 10, 2009

A Day to Celebrate

Today is my 17th anniversary. This morning my husband brought me a Starbuck's Latte to celebrate, and on the cup was "The Way I See It, #76". It reads as follows:

"The irony of commitment is that it's deeply liberating - in work, in play, in love. The act frees you from the tyranny of your internal critic, from the fear that likes to dress itself up and parade around as rational hesitation. To commit is to remove your head as the barrier to your life." (Anne Morriss)



Now I could quibble here and there with a few word choices, but I am simply going to be grateful for the commitment my husband has to our marriage, the commitment I have to our marriage, and the shared liberation we therefor enjoy.

I also think it is pretty cool that this was the cup he was given while getting me a latte. Seems to me as if God was giving us a little thumbs up!!

The day I got married, I have to say, I could not see the fruits of our marriage, not even in a foggy, hopeful sort of way. I had no idea what life was going to bring. This morning, as I was sitting in the nursery (that used to be my icon room), with the baby, one daughter bringing me coffee, another bringing me some delicious cinnamon toast with pumpkin butter, and a few other children just sitting around, being a little sleepy, my husband walks in with the latte, a card and a nice bottle of wine for later. It occurred to me, that had I been asked seventeen years ago what my life might be like now, I wouldn't have ventured a guess that I would have a baby on my lap, seven other children, a bigger icon studio in the basement, 3 acres, and a vibrant life full of friends and family.

Mostly, I couldn't have even begun to understand the way love deepens and smooths, becomes so rooted and solid. And God willing we are less that half way finished with this process, so now, looking forward, I have a glimmer of what awaits me in love; and yet there are so many unknowns. But I have hope, the same hope I had on my wedding day, but now it is a hope that is far more formed. And for that, again, I am grateful.

For more ruminating on marriage I have the "Fourteen Years and Counting" under my favorite posts on the side bar. It is all still true.

9 Comments:

Blogger Hope said...

Happy Anniversary!
That is cool what was on the cup.
You are blessed.

October 10, 2009  
Blogger Elise said...

Happy Anniversary, Godparents!
I love you both so much!
Elise
P.S. Love that cup, btw.

October 10, 2009  
Blogger Elizabeth @ The Garden Window said...

Happy Anniversary, and Many Years !!!!

October 11, 2009  
Anonymous aileen said...

happy anniversary! a toast to many more! we can share some wine across the country, right?

October 11, 2009  
Blogger Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! May you have many happy, healthy years ahead!

October 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Happy Anniversary, and may there be many more to come!

October 12, 2009  
Blogger Mimi said...

Happy, Happy Anniversary! Many Years!

October 12, 2009  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

Happy (although belated) Anniversary! :o)

October 14, 2009  
Blogger Suzanne said...

Happy and Blessed Anniversary.

October 17, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home