Friday, March 26, 2010

7 Quick Takes, Purging Edition


Today's 7 Quick Takes will be a purging edition. 40 Bags in 40 days wrap up, so to speak.

1. I have gotten rid of way more that 40 bags so far. And I have so many more places to attack yet. A dumpster is in order for things like the garage, shed, basement and attic. But the closets are getting there, the bookshelves aren't as crammed, and there is a substantial decrease in garbage. I can not believe how much garbage I had laying around. Papers, mostly, but lots of toys, broken things that I was going to fix "someday". The linen closet merited 4 bags to the thrift store and 2 to the trash.

2. Things I am having difficulty purging:
  • a. Drawing from little kids that are now big, especially if they have a heart on it, and say, "I Love You, Mom".
  • b. Drawings from little kids that will be big soon enough, especially if they have a heart on it, and say, "I Love You, Mom".
  • c. baby teeth (??!?!?!)
  • d. My birth giving clothes ( I always bring my own to the hospital)
  • e. A dress my grandma gave me when I was 16.
  • f. Baby comforter one of my kids used that is threadbare.
  • g. Cookbooks
  • h. Lofty, intellectual books I will likely never read
  • i. Spiritual classics that I will likely never read, but should
  • j. Baby shoes
  • k. Lots of "How to Clean Your Entire House in No Time What- so -Ever and Keep it That Way" articles that I have printed out and put in a pile.
  • l. Exercise clothes I haven't worn since before I was expecting Melanie
  • m. Art Supplies
  • n. CDs that I have had "for a long time"
  • o. Items I spent too much money on but never used
  • p. Letters and cards I have received from people

3. I see a trend. Holding on the the past, gripping it with clenched fingers.

4. and dreams for what I might do with myself if I was only
  • thinner
  • more organized
  • using my time more wisely
  • more holy
  • more intelligent
  • more energetic
5. I realized I must continue in this mindset after Lent is over. I must stay in the purging mode for the rest of my days, or I will be drowning in the past and in an unrealistic future, and never live in the present.

6. I must repeat to myself every time I make purging decisions that God Will Provide, and it isn't a sin to get rid of something you might need later.

7. Finally, I need to get rid of the things that I have kept or bought so I can be like someone else that I am envious of. I never knew that about myself, but I see it is true. I need to rest and work in my own gifts and talents, and appreciate others' gifts and talents without coveting them. Wow. Now THAT would be freedom!!

More Quick Takes at Jen's

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Congratulations on the purging. I know people who could use your insight and courage on this issue. I hope you can keep it up.

March 26, 2010  
Anonymous linda said...

doesn't it make you feel lighter when you get rid of junk?
I need to set apart time for this...

March 26, 2010  
Blogger Mimi said...

Good for you!

Two quick thoughts - you can scan the artwork and print it photo sized (and even scrapbook it) or take a photo of the child holding the artwork. But, I keep a fair amount of their stuff too.

And, Paperbackswap (dot com) rocks.

March 26, 2010  
Blogger Melanie Bettinelli said...

Awesome! Go you!

Mimi beat me to it. I was going to suggest taking photos of the kids' artwork.

March 26, 2010  
Anonymous Patricia said...

Regarding holding on to old baby teeth...this may sound odd, but...my mom did the same thing with all of our teeth & many years later my niece ended up using these teeth in a junior high science fair experiment which showed the effects of various kids of soft drinks on teeth (soda basically dissolves teeth) -- she got an A+ & you can bet that everyone was wondering where she got all of those teeth from!!

March 27, 2010  
Blogger TomcatmojoMom said...

Renee, you totally hit the nail on the head; I especially relate to #6. That voice saying "what if I need it later?" is like an old friend, though one who brings nothing to the relationship.

March 29, 2010  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love your honesty. I can relate to so many of these. I'm not going to get to 40 bags, probably b/c I've mostly been using big garbage bags. But, I am so happy with what I've accomplished so far (both in the house and within myself) and hope to continue the purging all year round!

March 30, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home