Friday, March 19, 2010

Good St. Joseph

Since officially becoming an Eastern Rite Catholic, there have been a few items on the Liturgical Calendar that I really miss. Now, I still acknowledge and accept these things, and still incorporate the traditions into my life since really, Catholic is Catholic. But, Liturgically speaking, there are differences in the calendar.


Today is one of those days. In the Roman Catholic calendar, today is the Feast of St. Joseph. My husband and my eldest son, my father and my father in law, all share his name, and look to him for example. I have had a love for St. Joseph my entire life, as he was the member of the Holy Family I could most identify with.

So it truly warmed my heart to read this article today, written by Abbot Joseph, the superior of Holy Transfiguration Monastery (aka Mt Tabor Monastery), a Byzantine-rite Ukrainian Catholic monastic community. It is entitled, "A Man of Faith and Righteousness", and I encourage everyone to read it and to ask St. Joseph to pray to God for us today and always.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

I have a friend who calls upon as her heavenly patron St. Joseph, and she does often feel that he gets lost in the Christmas rush. But, the hymns are beautiful, as you well know.

Many years to your husband, son, and FIL!

March 19, 2010  
Blogger Mother Mayhem said...

Okay... What's the difference in Catholic and Eastern Rite Catholic?

Have I already asked you that?

Awaiting enlightenment. :o)

March 20, 2010  
Anonymous Patricia said...

A Merry Heart:

Here is a brief synopsis of Eastern (commonly referred to as Byzantine) Catholic Churches:

http://www.byzcath.org/index.php/about-us-mainmenu-60/about-byzantines-mainmenu-62

God bless!

March 21, 2010  
Blogger Renee said...

Thanks Patricia. I was getting to that =).

March 21, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home