Friday, April 23, 2010

An Epiphany


Oh, how I wish I had taken some "before" photos. Because without them, I am not even going to bother posting "after" photos. You'll have to take my word for it that my classroom looks SO MUCH BETTER!!!!! I have de-cluttered, tossed, passed on, and re-purposed many, many of the items in there, and now I can think better! The world is my oyster!

But next are my many, many book cases, and I am stumped. I love books. I don't know how to prioritize books. I have been praying, "Dear Lord, help me pare down my book collection, but please don't let me make bone-headed decisions. Amen."

Then I came across this quote:

"There are two motives for reading a book: one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it."

(Bertrand Russell)

And my life is changed. I am tired of boasting. I want to enjoy. So there you go. Any book I have that I enjoy, or plan to enjoy, I keep. Any book I have so I can feel smarter, more organized, more educated, or just more, I get rid of. If I really want one of them later, I can get it. Notice the singular. It. Not them. It will be worth getting rid of the one, maybe two books that I could boast about AND enjoy, just to rid myself of non-enjoyable books. And then maybe I can get some good books that would edify me, no boasting required.

Works for me.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

sounds like a good plan of attack!

April 23, 2010  
Blogger Karl said...

Ooh! Can I get some free books?

April 23, 2010  
Blogger Renee said...

Yes, Karl. As long as you don't boast. We'll talk. ;)

April 24, 2010  
Blogger Mimi said...

Very true. I am working on not finishing books I don't enjoy, but it's hard, I tend to feel like I need to slog.

April 26, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home