Friday, July 01, 2011

Where are we now?

Ah, blogging. What has happened? Multi-dimensional changes in blogging in general (so many are like magazines now, rather than the casual sharing of thoughts). So many are promoting a career (not a bad thing at all. In fact, a terrific use of technology). I have been left far behind as far as formatting blogs. I have no interest or desire to learn blog design, nor to pay someone else to tweek mine. But it is obvious now that I am Old Fashioned when it comes to blogging. Facebook has come along to replace the relationship part of blogging, I think, and also, for people like me that have blogged for nearly 7 years, is there that much more to say? Then there are the bloggers that have risen to the top, like cream, that say what is on my mind so much better than I could, I find myself nodding in agreement rather than writing my own thoughts.

Then there is my personal lack of discipline. I blog erratically, which doesn't lead to a strong readership. I blog about my own life, which can be very boring to read. I seem to have lost a bit of my reflective ability, or the things I reflect on are too personal to put out on the internet, too controversial (I don't want to offend), or too common (how many posts on pregnancy, home making and gardening can I do, when I do the same things over and over?)

I never have seen myself as any sort of expert, so my blog won't ever be telling people what to do or how to do it. I have found lots of tricks to make my life easier that I would like to share, but so many of them are in response to my life, and not generally applicable (like making my kids stand in the corner instead of spanking them. Worked very well for me. I couldn't guarantee that it will for anyone else). I am not going to instruct people in home schooling techniques (o, please, I can barely get by myself). What I have done appears to be working, but there was never a formula for me. If I could write a book, it would be called, "Flying by the Seat of my Pants", because that is how I have home schooled, gardened, raised my kids, managed my marriage and kept a budget. It is how I plan menus and how I respond to just about everything. I don't recommend it, but it works for me. But could I, in good conscience, offer my technique as anything to imitate? Absolutely not. It boils down to this. I am exceptionally flexible. I try to put a plan into action, but things are constantly changing, so I must make constant adjustments to my plan. The final outcome is usually barely recognizable compared to my original vision. At first, that made me feel like a failure. Now, not so much. But I can not make a home making blog about it. No beautiful photos to share, generally, but there are so many, many delightful surprises!

Anyway, now, I am completely wrapped up in this pregnancy (only 6 weeks to go), relishing the new life inside me and wondering if THIS will be the last time I get to do this. Relishing my teens, my new graduate, the two year old and the middle kids, who are growing and blossoming every day. So much abundance has led to fewer and fewer words.

I think that is how it is supposed to be. Matters of the head are being transferred to matters of the heart, where I am treasuring them and contemplating them, and and storing them. Just not writing about them.

9 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer in TX said...

Renee,
Praying for you an your soon-to-be born little one! I really do enjoy your blog so much, perhaps because I have a temperament similar to yours. God love you!

July 02, 2011  
Blogger Michelle said...

The BVM "pondered everything in her heart," so I doubt she'd have a blog or a Twitter feed if she lived in modern times. We go through seasons, and this just might be a more reflective one for you. Enjoy these last weeks of growing a baby!

July 02, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't care how often you blog, Renee. But every time you do, I enjoy reading it. And I do. In fact, I don't have to worry about keeping up with your posts - but because you're in my blogroll, I can see when you've posted.

I'm eager to see those new baby pictures when he/she arrives!

BTW - I've another boys' name for you! "Beckett"! As in Thomas Beckett. I thought it sounded cool.

Alexa

July 03, 2011  
Blogger jen said...

life has a habit of happening. :) blog when you can and we'll enjoy what you have to say.

July 04, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still blogging. Have never been able to settle in one spot for long, but am still blogging. You are one of my first blog buddies. One who knows my "true identity"... *Smile*

Praying for that lil one! :o)

July 05, 2011  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your posts may be fewer and farther between, but always worth waiting for. I will continue to check, so continue to write if and when you feel like it! Praying for you and the little guy - can't wait to meet him!

Barb

July 05, 2011  
Anonymous John Lankard said...

My dear friend Renee - It appears you're wondering if there's value in what you write here. Let me tell you, there is. For me, it helps replace all those great long conversations (arguments/debates) we had as young adults, fleshing out what was important to us and who we were becoming. Do you remember those late conversations? I'm sure you do. Life has separated us geographically, but I feel like I'm still in touch with someone I care about deeply. Clearly the conversations are a little one-sided, but I'll keep listening as long as you keep talking.

Take care,
John

July 05, 2011  
Blogger Simple Faith and Life said...

I relate to so much that you said here, Renee...even though I'm in a little different place in my life...or maybe even more so, since I don't even know where I'm going with my life at this moment. Sometimes I just don't know what to blog and it's so true that some of us seem to have taken the online social life to Facebook. For my part I will admit that that transference from blogging to FB has been the easy way when I'm tired or stressed.

Right now, you have a very special reason to pull back from blogging if you feel like it. And never should you feel obligated. But whenever you do feel like it, just know that lots of us are reading and enjoying and relating.

July 06, 2011  
Anonymous Jennifer said...

Renee,

Just wrote you a nice note, I didn't post it correctly, and now I've lost it. In short -- I like your blog! My first effort was much lovelier than that, but I'm too tired to re-create it. Sigh. You remain in my prayers for a safe and peace-filled pregnancy and birth.

-Jennifer

July 11, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home