Wednesday, August 31, 2005

High ho, high ho, it's to the pumps we go

After hearing of the devestation in the Gulf Coast, I realized my van was sucking fumes, and in case there are shortages here, I thought I better go fill up. The sign was being changed to $2.99 a gallon as I drove in. As I began to pump, I saw the price was still $2.79. So, I saved six bucks for responding quickly to my husbands request to fill up the van. On the way home, I thought to myself that I never thought I would celebrate only spending $75.00 on a tank of gas.

I know this is so trivial compared to the devistation in the Gulf states. I am not trying to belittle it. I only realized the extent of the damage today, as I don't watch the news, get a newspaper or listen to talk radio. It was the blogs that tipped me off. Anyway, in pondering what I could do, besides pray, I thought I would try to go about my daily duties as effectively, cheerfully, and diligently as I could, and offer my day for the relief of suffering. It's all I could think to do in the immediacy of this tragedy.

Anyway, I usually don't get a receipt from the gas station, but today I did, because I have a sneaking suspicion it will be the cheapest gas I see in a looooong time. Also, I want to remember to offer my days for suffering souls even after this tragedy has lessened. There is always suffering, and I want to remember that I am not powerless against it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

This is a great idea. Most days I don't remember to do my duties for a specific purpose. I, too, will offer my daily "chores" for the victims, thanking God that I have what I do when there is so much loss right now.

August 31, 2005  
Blogger martha marmot said...

$75.00?! Eek! I like your outlook on the situation though. Very positive.

September 01, 2005  
Blogger Adinah said...

You are so wise MPN, it's important to remember that when we have the basics we take for granted, water from the faucet, toilets, lights and food. And it's more than enough to keep us very, very humble.

September 01, 2005  
Blogger RANDI said...

My dad told me that gas prices by his house went up $.60 today (in one day)! I am afraid to do to the pump tomorrow!

September 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home