Wednesday, August 31, 2005

High ho, high ho, it's to the pumps we go

After hearing of the devestation in the Gulf Coast, I realized my van was sucking fumes, and in case there are shortages here, I thought I better go fill up. The sign was being changed to $2.99 a gallon as I drove in. As I began to pump, I saw the price was still $2.79. So, I saved six bucks for responding quickly to my husbands request to fill up the van. On the way home, I thought to myself that I never thought I would celebrate only spending $75.00 on a tank of gas.

I know this is so trivial compared to the devistation in the Gulf states. I am not trying to belittle it. I only realized the extent of the damage today, as I don't watch the news, get a newspaper or listen to talk radio. It was the blogs that tipped me off. Anyway, in pondering what I could do, besides pray, I thought I would try to go about my daily duties as effectively, cheerfully, and diligently as I could, and offer my day for the relief of suffering. It's all I could think to do in the immediacy of this tragedy.

Anyway, I usually don't get a receipt from the gas station, but today I did, because I have a sneaking suspicion it will be the cheapest gas I see in a looooong time. Also, I want to remember to offer my days for suffering souls even after this tragedy has lessened. There is always suffering, and I want to remember that I am not powerless against it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

This is a great idea. Most days I don't remember to do my duties for a specific purpose. I, too, will offer my daily "chores" for the victims, thanking God that I have what I do when there is so much loss right now.

August 31, 2005  
Blogger Randi said...

My dad told me that gas prices by his house went up $.60 today (in one day)! I am afraid to do to the pump tomorrow!

September 01, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home